Did I pick the right spot?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catscratch, Jun 29, 2008.

1. catscratch

catscratch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The creek averages about 20 yards wide and is made of riffles and holes. The other day it rained and the creek came up (not flooded, but up). I took some friends fishing that night. We fished the mouth of a feeder creek expecting to catch lots of flats and channels and ended up with nothing. I thought it would be a great spot, clean water dumping into muddy water, a current break, brush, everything I thought we needed but nothing. Did we pick the right spot? Should we have fished behind the riffles like I usually do when the water is down (current would have been really strong there)? Was it just a bad night?
    Help me figure this out, it's really bugging me that we didn't catch anything in a spot I thought would be good.
    Jason

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd definitely be going back there, It sounds awful 'Fishy' to me!!!:wink::smile2:

Catfish don't feed every night, take several different baits live and cut and also try a slip floater besides bottom fishing and try to find the fish, keep changing the depth every 30 minutes or so. Don't give up on it, sounds like a good spot to me!:wink:

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Some nights they just aren't there. Some nights they just aren't feeding. You never know. I've had awesome nights before and gone the next night and fished the same spot the same way at the same time and got nothing.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    like said, they mite just not have been there or not feeding. also you mite have gotten there too late. what i mean by that is the water mite have crested and started to fall and they shut down. try to fish it rite after or during a heavy rain, while its on the rise. i have noticed that the farther the creek water shoots out into the river the better the fishing! they feed hard in these conditions and when they are done thats it.

5. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I fully agree with what has already been said. I always try to fish a hot looking spot at least 3 or 4 times under different conditions before I give up on it.
    I have had the opposite happen lots of times too. Slayed them in a spot and went back a dozen times and not caught a darn thing.

I would say give it another try and good luck.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Very, very fishy!

7. catscratch

catscratch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the replys guys. I will try it several more times and hope it produces. The creek produces often for me and it was odd to get skunked so I wondered if I had picked the right spot for the situation. Sounds like I need to keep after it.
    Thanks
    Jason