Did I kill my riding mower???

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by derbycitycatman, Jul 8, 2006.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Was cutting grass and ran over a rock. It pulled the rock out of the ground and now the blades wont engage. The motor still runs fine and drives. When I engage the blades it kills the engine. It makes a noise like something might be grinding.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm sure you looked underneath the mower deck to see if the blade is bent. It could also be the shaft. Disconnect the battery and visually inspect the blade rotation by turning by hand.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please disconnect the PLUG WIRE.Many small engines have a magneto for ignition and can start if rotated without a battery.Thanks,peewee-williams

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That would be my guess, a rock could also be lodged up there somewhere. Make sure to disconnect everything so you keep all your fingers. Good luck finding the issure out brother.

5. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    You either still have something wedged under the deck or it bent the blade or shaft so bad it is hitting the deck.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    So it sounds like you may have wounded it pretty good but not actually killed it. :lol: :lol: Good luck with getting it fixed again, plenty of good advice on here.

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    The deck may be bent causing the blade to hit it. When you try to engage the mower, the blade cant spin so the mower dies.

8. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Agree with Rob. Sounds like you pushed it oout of the ground with the front of your deck instead of the blades knocking it out. You should be able to tell what happened by looking at the rock. Probably as simple as bending the edge of the deck out of the way. Listen to Peewee- could start when you turn blades if the engine turns. I've never had one that started that easy for me ! lolo I spend more time cranking than cutting.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Rob you nailed it. The deck was bent back and the blade was actually stuck in the mower deck. Hammer, channel locks and a prybar took care of it pretty quick. Thanks all!!!

10. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Now how do you think I knew that? The same thing happened to my John Deere last week! Sent the blade right through the deck! A little banging and welding and it is good to go.

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    gesh... u guys need to be careful mowing....

that would really hurt someone if that hit them

or a car.....

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    If you couldn't get it to cut grass again I was going to recommend that you spruce it up and go for the worlds land speed record again!!!