Did I goof?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by GoFish_Tony, Nov 1, 2006.

1. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I was looking for a rod for my new Okuma Level Wind reel (baitcaster) and I ended up buying a "Berkley BigWater Lightning" rod (spinning rod) for it on eBay.

I am planning on using this 8' medium heavy rod & reel for bank fishing.

Question:
    Will the fact that this rod was made for a spinning reel make that much difference if I use a baitcaster reel on it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tony
    _

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I prefer to buy spinning rods and use casting reels myself. The only downfall Ive found is that when you buy a casting rod, you get that little peice of plastic built into the handle, like a trigger. This helps hold it in the rodholder (imo). But I prefer to have a smooth rod, with no extra plastic trigger. The rod holders I currently use, it would take a very large fish to yank it out of the holder, or the ground. If there is a chance of structual flaw using a spinning rod with a casting reel, Id like to know myself.

Kenny

3. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I would think that as long as It has double seated line guides all the way up the rod that it would do fine. I know a lot of spinning rods only have single seated line guides. Just my own opinion though.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ibe used combos like that before. It worked fine for me but Im sure its not the best, shouldnt tear anything up though.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the big difference between the two rods is the spinning rod normally has fewer eyes than the casting or it the other way around :lol: either way , with my abu's i prefer more eyes reason being it puts the tension in the center of the rod , the eyes hold the line center of the rod with the other rod the one with fewer eyes the line has a tendancy to shift off center to one side or the other . see pic below

Attached Files:

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    That combo should work decent. Never try to use a spinning reel on a casting rod though. I also prefer casting rods for the fact of more eyes. You can also get casting rods without a trigger on the back of them.

7. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    That was exactly the kind of input I was hoping to get.

Thanks everybody for your willingness to share and help one another.

Long live the BOC and the wonderful people that make it GREAT!!

Tony
    _

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree with Charles.I have tried all types of switches with all types of rods and reels as the feeling and use of my hands is constantly changing.So far I have had the time and little else to do.I was having to carry too many rigs.The casting reel cast better with a spinning reel than a spinning reel normally cast with a casting rod.I say normally.Some of my long rods with the first eye a good distance down the rod from the seat work well with both.I am seldom able to cast,and then extremely limited most of the time."Hey man,I got 20 foot that time!"Others gladly cast for me if necessary.You now have a great reason to Buy a Okuma Coronado CD 90 to go with that rod and a new rod for the present reel.Great thinking.You must be married!Get out in a big place and cast it.Learning a new rig is the important part.If you like it,it may be the best rig that you ever buy.YOU is the big word that counts here.Best of luck.Please take me with you.Let us know what you think.We want to know also.Thanks,peewee-williams

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    1 Cattin Dude has good advice about single - dubble seated guides.The single seated guides are OK for casting but fold up with big fish.I made the mistake of buying one.
    Jake

10. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Welcome to the BOC Jake!

Could somebody please explain the differant kinds of guides and what each ones purpose is (or is one just cheaper?) A picture or two would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Tony
    _

11. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    If this worked, it'll show you the difference between single seated and double seated rod guides. Singles are most often on spinning rods. They work fine for spinning, but when you turn the rod upside down for bait casting, the force of the line is moving against the guide in the opposite direction. This will cause single seated guides to bend.

Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have 3 sets of rods that I ordered 1 spinning and 1 casting of the same rods weights and brands.When I get down to the same size guides on both rods,they look exactly the same on 2 out of the 3 brands.The one different looks the same except for a different color.All are double footed guides.All seem to be wrapped the same.Peewee-williams

13. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think that rod blanks are different in the two, Gator would know more about this than I would. I think that there is a "spine" in the rod that lets it flex more one way than another. I really hope Gator will chime in to clarify this for us.

Aaron

TA2D

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    There is a difference in the way the rod is meant to bend as well as how the guides are made to support the line while your fighting the fish... Spinning rods are meant to be pulled on with the guides facing downward... They have less guides because they don't need them to be as usefull... since the line has no chance of rubbing against the rod if there aren't enough guides, alot of spinning rods have less guides... They also have a larger butt guide, this allows less friction on the line as you cast and allow the line which comes off a spinning reel (not straight but more in a spiral form) to go through with less incident. The Casting rods in contrast are made so that the line is supported with the guides facing upwards while fighting the fish... Many of the better made rods have more guides then the cheaper ones.... This is because you want as little a chance of having the line rub against the rod as possible which could cause a weak spot in the rod and/or the line while fighting the fish... The guides are typically double footed to take the pressure from the fight and spread it along the rod as opposed to just letting the guide take it and possibly bend, weakening its connection... They have a smaller butt guide because they don't need a large guide... the line comes off straight (or relatively straight) on the casting reels and there for there is less danger of it rubbing the guide as much or tangling around that guide...

I wouldn't say using a spinning rod for casting reel is a bad thing... Some people think the spinning rod allows for less friction and there for longer casts... it just makes some anglers look at you like your an idiot... I personally don't mix them because I know the designs are that way for a reason and they have been worked out so that they work well that way... but it doesn't mean you can't do it...