did i get burned on old anbassaduers?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATDAD, Mar 29, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    bought two old red 6000 reels today one has no numbers AND no clicker and white knob on handle, one has number040902 and has clicker i think the first one is from the sixtys and the second is from earley seventys? anyway i bought them to use they are in great shape with a few scratches i paid 70.00 for both did i get burned? thanks

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You must thought it was a good deal are you would have not paid the 70.00 for them, I thank that I would have saved my money and bought some 6500 , just my cents

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Time will tell. If they work and you catch fish for years to come, than you made out ok. Good luck. :cool2:

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Should they ever require repair, parts are still available...Good luck.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It really depends on how you like to fish. There are situations where they will make ideal catfish reels, and other situations where they would be very unsuitable. Since I'm not crazy about my 6500 for my general catfishing, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. But that's personal preference. As I said, for the right situation, they could be excellent reels.

6. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I dont think you got burned at all , are they levelwinds, those old ones are the ones you want, they are the tough ones , good buy, hope they reel in your PB this year :wink:

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check this out Charles, you may have done just fine! :wink: lol

55710. ABU AMBASSADEUR. MODEL 6000. Early, red finish, free spool, ball-bearing casting [​IMG] reel. Anti-backlash. Star drag. Level wind. Offset, counter-balanced handle. No Serial #. Made in the late 50's with a red finish and silver trim. Three screw take-apart with double ridged end rings. Handsome reel that works perfectly and is in nearly NEW condition. In the original leather case with the original oiler, and spare parts. Scarce Model. Fantastic Salmon, Musky or Light Salt Water Reel. N/M. 150.00.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That is very true Jack, I was gonna ask if the one with no numbers has the medallion on it, also, look on top of the foot plate for a number...... Whether you fish them or not, I would say you done just fine for a $70 bill....... I know you can get that and more back at a trade show.:wink:

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I always tell my wife that if it was worth it to you then you didnt pay to much . Me on the other hand im cheap so everything is to much to me .

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The new abu 6500's with the carbon matrix drag has enough drag pressure to handle a 55-lb flathead in heavy current.

I dont no how good the old ones are

11. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    I already have two 6500 reels a couple newer 6000 reels. i just looked at these two old reels and thought boy if they could talk they probably could tell some stories, were if the new stuff could talk i probably would not understand them as they are from china lol .:smile2:

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    [​IMG]
    [ Up ]
    Rare ABU Reels

Why rare ?
    Over the years, ABU made numerous models of Ambassadeurs for different markets in varying numbers. Some reels were made in small quantity as they were not popular at that time. These reels would now worth more than their counterparts of the same age.
    In addition, ABU also made some reels in very very limited quantity - usually in differentiate colours to gauge market response. Some were made as "Limited Editions" exclusively for big tackle retail firm in the US. They are very rare and highly sought after by collectors across the globe today.
    Some of the reels are listed below:
    Record Ambassadeur 5000 - Black, Green, Purple, Yellow !!!

This reel was listed for auction in www.ebay.com and ended with a final price of US$3929.00 on 10 December 1998 !!!
    The following are information provided by its seller Steve Woan:
    Record Ambassadeur 5000 Black exceptionally rare reel less than 100 made.Grey spool and gray star drag, twin dark white marbleized handles on black handle bar. In makers original brown leather case with early chrome locking latch. With original Record oil bottle and blue spare parts tube. No number on foot. Small scuffs to reel rims but in excellent mechanical condition. This is the second model of the 5000 Ambassadeur made in the early 1950's after the model SG.
    This reel was made in 1953 the first year of the ambassadeurs, serial numbers were put on the reel feet in the early 1960's The reels were made in Black (100 pieces), Green (20 pieces), Purple and Yellow to test the market. People preferred the red models so the other colors were dropped.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ambassadeur 5000 / 6000 - Black Colour !

This is an extract from a list of an antique dealer in UK:
    "ABU produced 500 each of 5000 / 6000s in a few different colours in 1959, which were sent out to dealers to gauge customers reaction prior to the relaunch the reels as ABUs instead of Records."
    ABU Ambassadeur 5500 / 6500

This is an interesting family of reel introduced in 1974 and sold till 1977/1978. Basically, it is a high speed, non ball-bearings version of the popular 5000 series. It was perhaps targeted at customers who want the higher speed but is not willing to spend more money for a ball-bearings version 5500C.
    At that time, ABU had already established a standard colouring scheme for their current range of models:​
    • 5000/6000 - Red​
    • 5000C/6000C - Black​
    • 5500C/6500C - Gray​
    In an effort to differentiate this model from the others, they are made in different colours like Copper, Burgundy and Gold. Some reels have also been seen in Red.
    The Copper version of the 5500 is by far the most common of the lot. A MINT specimen have been sold for around 350USD:​
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The Burgundy, Wine or Brown coloured version is a little more uncommon compared to the Copper coloured version. A MINT specimen is worth around 400USD.​
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The Gold version of ABU 5500 is easily one of the most highly sought after reels. It was supposed to have been made for only a year. It easily commands a 4 figure price tag in the auctions !!!​
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ABU 4000D / 5000D / 5500D

No exactly rare but these are direct drive version of ABU's range of Ambassadeurs and are made from 1974 -1978. See the model page here.

ABU 12 - Chrome plated

Small quantities of ABU 12 were made in chrome finish instead of the matt gray. Some say ABU made these for trade shows.

CopyRight © 2001 EJ Gay
    http://www.geocities.com/heartland/lane/4448
    This website was last updated on 20 November 1999
    All Rights Reserved ®
    Disclaimer : The content of this site are provided "as is" with the sole objective of sharing information among collectors worldwide. I cannot be responsible for the accuracy of its content. Every information serves only as a guide. More importantly, I DO NOT speak on behalf of ABU Garcia or represent them in anyway.

</SPAN>[​IMG] [​IMG] if there old check these out

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Very interesting Keith. Looks like a goldmine. :cool2:

14. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Slimdaddy, Great post very informative thanks for posting I need to find some of these at garage sales:smile2::wink:

15. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have 2 or 3 old abu 5000 number on bottom is 430549 it is old dont know what year but it works better then my new abu 5000 have 2 old 5000 and 2 old abu 6000 the old ones work better then the new ones do have a good iron it works great

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think you got burned, I have a newer Abu Garica 6000 and 6500C3 and both are great reels.

17. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks for the great info on the reels