Did I choose the right rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by veryama1975, Jan 13, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I just put $10 down on a new cat rod & I wanted to ask y'all what you think of it. The specifics on this rod can be found at:

http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fis...<>ast_id=1408474395181270&bmUID=1200250873561.

My rod is the TLA80MC2: 8ft, medium power, fast action, 12-27lb, 2-piece rod. One thing I don't like aboutl it is there's no "trigger" finger grip on the rod handle but otherwise it seemed to be the best cat rod in the tackle shop for the money (about $80).

I like the fact that it's fast action will enable me to "feel" the bottom & feel strikes better but I'm worried that maybe my live bluegills or chicken liver will fall off the hook a lot more with the fast action than they did with my old medium action rod. What do y'all think?

Also, I wanted a rod long enough to make the far casts to tailwaters of dams but not so long that I couldn't reasonably fish at my more usual river spots. Do you think the 8ft Talora was a good compromise?

I plan to buy an Abu Garcia baitcast reel. Maybe a 6000 or a Black Cat 6500CAT. Is this the best rod choice for the money?

The rod is classified as a "trolling rod" but I don't have a boat & won't be doing any trolling. Does this make a difference?

P.S. I still think this is probably a good choice for a cat rod but if I find out otherwise I'd rather find out now & only be out $10 than be stuck with an $80 rod that isn't right.

Thanks for all the help brothers!

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    looks like it might be a good rod to me, I have never used one and thanks for the link, I might look into gettting one later. Kinda have to lay off rod buying for a couple of months. Let us know how it handles, you may have found a gem.

3. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks Buster. I'll try to remember to let you know how it works. If I remember by then...Spring seems a long way away.
    :sad2:

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would not be worried about loosing bait on a fast action rod over any other action rod out there. If you set the hook on something it is just as good a chance as of being gone as any other. Put the reel on the rod that you plan to buy see how it feels. If the rod feels good then go for it.

5. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks Josh but I didn't mean when I set my hook. What I meant was that I was worried that I might be more likely to fling off my bait when casting due to the extra stiffness of the rod. What do you think? Would it make much difference?

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I dunno Matt that rod might work out alright or it may be all wrong.

in the last couple of seasons I've gone through quite a few rods. I'm now only using rods specificaly designed for catfishing. The rods Your looking at are designed for trolling, not catfishing so its a toss up.

If you don't mind being out the $10 you might give a Flathead Rod from Catfish Safari a thought. You might even give Steve Brown a call, He designed and sells the rods. He can be reached at (660) 438-3135

7. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks Brad. I might do that but when I hear the words "custom rod" I start thinking hundreds of dollars. What did you pay for your custom rod?

8. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Matt those rods are $80.Many more to chose from just go to his website.

9. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    Hey Matt, I'm with Brad on this one. May be a good rod, may be all wrong. For that kind of money I wouldn't want to chance it. I would be wanting a rod made for the type of fishing that I was doing. I would check out catfishsafari rods. 80$ plus shipping. Another good place to look would be a site called catfish connection. This is only my opinion and if you do get that rod, let us all know how it works for ya.

Joe

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Matt, if you do get a catfish safari rod you should know I don't think you could break the rod. It is one tough rod!! It's a sight to see when you have one person holding it and another person bending the tip down to the ground. Everyone around and I do mean everyone starts backing up and moving out of the way. I guess they think it might blow up or something.

11. ilovemyfish

ilovemyfish New Member

State:
    california
    looks like a good rod ...I think it will work fine but i maybe wrong lol :embarassed: