Did everyone have trouble learning to fish from a boat??

Discussion in 'Boating' started by KansasKatter, Nov 13, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey guys, just wondering if everyone has trouble getting used to/learning to fish from a boat at first? I enjoy taking the boat out, but not fighting it constantly from getting it to stay put while anchored, positioning, etc.

I have only been skunked 4 times this year, and all 4 times it was from the boat...........ready to throw in the towel.:confused2:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah man, had a lot of trouble when we first got ours this past spring. Had been bank fishing for years previously and caught some nice fish, got the boat and pretty much got skunked for the first month or so having it, and had a lot of trouble. After getting real good at Anchoring, and using the fishfinder to anchor on the right stuff we started catching a lot of fish. For us it has always seemed to make a huge difference if we were anchored real solid and not moving at all or hardly at all.

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Stick with it Jeff just takes some getting used to. Still trying to figure it out myself somedays.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Growing up we never anchored we always drift fished are tied off to a tree. In the last 10 are so years is when we started anhcoring the boat. Well not anymore until March anyway.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I've had the exact opposite. I have ALWAYS had a boat (my dad's :lol: ) and i have grown up fishing from one. I feel lost when i don't have a boat and fish from bank. I HATE not having a depth finder to mark prime locations. Basically I think we all get in a 'comfort zone' with what we are used to. Don't approach fishing from a boat the same as bank. You can literally go almost ANYWHERE the fish can. Don't pick an arbitrary spot, scout ALOT! look for baitfish, catfish hugging bottom, structure in 30 feet of water at the front end of a scour hole, etc. Take your knowledge (which i can tell from on here is extensive) from bankfishing and use it in your boat, just simply do some scouting with that depth finder, you will get on them!

6. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Actually I have better luck from a boat. A little more expensive due to the fact I seem to toss poles out of the boat.:big_smile:

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've had two boats with motors, a canoe, and two kayaks. Of them all, the kayaks are the best for me. But, some of the principals when anchoring are the same. I've had to learn to let out enough anchor rope when anchoring. Haven't done it yet, but will add another anchor for even better control. My kayak has these things called anchor trolleys that allow me to move my anchor back and forth the length of the kayak. I can position all sorts of ways. With an additional anchor, I'll be able to even better adjust the angle of the kayak at anchor. Give it time, it'll work out.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I recomend a river anchor and a drift bucket to correct the stabilization problem. Do ya have electronics on the boat? If so. Spend a day on the water doin recon and learnin your river and your fish finder. Don't take any gear with ya when ya do this.

You have to get ready for my son when he moves out there to McConnel AFB. LOL!

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Anyone who says that they've never had trouble is a LIAR . My peeve is still with the anchoring part. I either can't get it to stay put or can't get the anchor broke loose once I do:embarassed: .

We all learn from our endeavours, that's where the word "speer-ee-ence" comes from:big_smile:

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I think we all have had a stumbling block when It comes to learning boat control. I know I did since I started with row boats. Im going left now Im going right now my paddles skipping on the water. now my partners soaked. then the cheezy coffee can full of cement anchor isnt holding or slowing the boat in the wind. rental boats arent all they cracked up to be. lol

11. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have yet to fish from a boat but this winter I am hoping we could somehow use one for some blue catting...

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A whole lot of people seem to have real problems with anchoring. There are diffinately times when it is tough, like when a good gusty wind is blowing accross or against the current, so even theough the anchor holds, you still swing allover creation, or when the current is just so strong that it's real hard to get anchored solid in the first place.

A couple of basics make anchoring a whole lot easier, though.
    1. Buy a good anchor: Stay away from home-made anchors. Forget the old truck hub and the chunk of rail and get yourself a good real anchor. Personally my favorites are the river anchor (liek a mushroom but with three lobes instead of a solid cup) or the navy style fluke anchor. An 8 pound river anchor (plus chain - see below) has never failed to hold my 17 foot Crestlin jon in ANY condition. Also - forget the discount fluke anchors (the Danforth style rip offs and such), they suck.

2. CHAIN: the performance of every anchor is doubled or even tripled by the addition of at least 3 feet of heavy chain. Not dog chain. Heavy wleded chain. The chain keeps the angle to the anchor right so it can grab the bottom. Even mushroom and river anchors work way way better with chain.

3. Scope (no, not the mouthwash) Every spring during shad fishing season we see people trying to anchor their boats in 20 feet of water with 22 feet of rope out. That just wont work. Put at least three times the length of anchor rope on your anchor as the deepest water you think you will ever see. (Real salts will tell you 5 times.) For instance, if the deepest water in your river is 50 feet, then you ought to have at least 150 feet of anchor rope. Thats a lot of rope, so you might want to do it in a couple of pieces and join them together when you need the total length.) Every time you anchor, start by throwing out about twice the depth of rope and see if that will hold. If not, give it more rope.

Also, generall you will learn with practice how to hit the right spot. You have to go up current or up wind of where you want to be by abit before you drop the anchor. How far up you go varies depending on how strong the current and wind are and on how deep it is. It comes with practice.

For me, part of the adjustment came in thinking the boat would be magic. Being stuck on shore, I always figured that if I could just get "over there," I just knew I'd be into tons of fish. I still had to find the good spots. You also have to learn to slow down and really look and "pattern" the fish, to borrow a term from the bass fishers. It takes a little time. Sometimes you have to fish the same body of water several times before starting to get into the fish consistently, unless you know somebody with local knowledge. You can also learn by watching others. Don't be shy about watching other people that are catching fish and try to figure out what they are doing right. What was it about their spot that the fish liked? How deep? What kind of cover? Head of a hole or tail? etc.

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks for the advice guys, especially John, that was some good info!

It is good to hear everyone else has faught the same problems I am having, I feel like a monkey trying to screw a football out there sometimes. I can fish from the bank with the best of them, but that is what I learned from, and now it is like I have never fished before!:confused2:

My biggest problem is indeed anchoring, here in Kansas, the wind is ALWAYS blowing, the boat sways back and forth, to and fro, even with two anchors out, and undoubtably one anchor will always fail, then we end up swinging all the way around. Drives me nucking futs!:crazy: Can't keep my line tight one minute, then the next minute my clicker is going off giving me a heart attack, only to realize the darn boat is dragging my rig across the bottom, or has me hung up!:angry:

Thanks for the help guys, that makes me feel a little better, I am going to buy a better anchor this evening, and maybe just go out this weekend and practice, not even fish, just practice anchoring in different spots and do some scouting.

14. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    are you fishing a lake or river? If there is current a trick that sometimes works for us is throw your front anchor, get it to hold. and then drop the back anchor straight down and tie it off with only about 1 foot of slack. this usually helps keep the boat from swinging but if you still swing some or are net set up perfect, turn the motor! that will help correct you.

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ah. Kansas. Yes. Say no more.

Can't say that I have had to resort to it myself, but I have heard that when things are really bad that way (wind, I mean) one way is to put out the first anchor and then go accross the wind and put down the other anchor, and tie both off to the front of the boat (or one fron and one back). The two anchors should be equal distances from the boat, so that the anchor lines make a "V" with the boat at the bottom (point) and the lines pointing into the wind.

Fortunately, fishing mostly smallish rivers, I don't have to deal with that much wind. When it does get bad, sometimnes I just end up tied to the bank, or at least with one rope tied to the bank and an anchor out the other end of the boat. Deffinitely limits where you can fish, though.

16. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have found that the boat swinging a little at times can be good, especially if you are using bobbers or very little weight on the line. As the boat swings it moves the bait slowly. There are times thats about the only way to get the fish to hit is to move the bait some.
    Granted you have to work on keeping the slack out of the lines. But if you have rods out on both sides you only have to worry about slack on 1 side of the boat at a time.

17. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Maybe you could take the boat out a few times without fishin and practice anchoring and manuevering it to get use to the boat and then start fishin out of it. Hang in there, you'll get used to it!

18. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    HAY if you get it figured out you can come down and show me.i think there is a lot to the rope length,a couple of months ago we went to texoma with a guide for striper,in a 26 ft boat be said he had a 500 ft anchor rope so he could position himself.

19. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    You probably know this already, but I didn't see it mentioned. Face the boat upstream and anchor off the bow.

20. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    The answer to your question is NO Jeff.

Us Texas boys gotta show you Kansas boys everything.......

:cool2:

Good anchors and lots of practice... You'll get the hang of it...