Did anyone have any problems with poachers this season.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Txbluecatman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Hello folks I know that this has probably already been asked but I just got my Internet back up since november. This year we saw a decrease in poaching in the county I work for as a Deputy. Although the few incidents that we did see there were some HUGE deer shot. The biggest one that was recovered scored at 167 b.c. It was shot off of one of our local highways.

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    These are the lowest forms of life. There is no excuse for poaching as far as I am concerned. I have been nearly killed by idiots with spotlights at night. I unfortunately got between them and the deer walking out of my stand one night. Lets just say this "deer" would have shot back.

If you are starving and have no money there is still no excuse. Call your local Sheriff and they will put you on a list. I had a friend who fell on hard times after hurting their back and their spouse was blind. After the 13th deer in a month they begged to be taken off the list.

Untill they treat poaching like the dispicable crime that it is, we will always have problems. I hunted with a guy who hunts indian lands. If you poach there you pay for the deer and all the decendants it could have produced and their value.

Hitting these #$@#$# in the pocketbook is the only way to stop it. That and long jail terms. Perhaps living each day like "Deliverance" will make them think twice.

JMO

3. cooterbrown

cooterbrown New Member

State:
    illinois
    never had a big problem this year with poaching we started a new way of checking deer in and suprisingly they either didnt get caught or it just worked better than expected

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I do a lot of bowhunting here in Virginia and every season I sit in trees listening to the sound of high powered rifles going off. The check stations around here don't even go out to the vehicles to look at the deer being checked in and most of the clerks wouldn't know a bullet hole if they fell in it.
    Next to my house on the river is a set of RR tracks with a dirt service road going a few hundred yards up stream from my road. Lately it seems to be a favorite spot for people to dispose of deer carcasses. People are shooting, cutting the antlers off and dumping the rest. It makes me sick. Last season I found a half dozen in one pile. I wish someone would catch those SOB's. Also last year, someone dropped off a dead cow.....up wind of my house. I couldn't sit on my deck for six weeks. What an oder!

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    We Always Have Problems With "Poachers" @ Our Hunting Lease. They Are Usually The "Locals" & They Know We Are Too Far Away To Catch Them.

They Are Usually Catching The Hogs With Dogs & Only Armed With Pocket Knives. This Does a Few Things In Their Favor. Since Hogs Are Not Considered a Game Animal Here On Private Property, They Can't Be Charged With Poaching & Since They Don't Have Firearms With Them They Can't Be Charged With Armed Tresspassing.

Long Story Short, They Can Only Be Charged With Simple Tresspass.They Are Willing To Take That Chance. If We Catch Them We Take Their Dogs, They Can't Prove That They Belong To Them Because They Deliberately Do Not Put Collars On Them.

We Then Take The Dogs To The Pound, Where If They Desire To "Recover" Them There Is A Hefty Fine Plus All The Shots Etc. It's Not Much Of A Consequence For their Actions But At Least They Are Inconvienced And Lose Some $$, Elliot

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I know TA2D has found numerous deer carcasses with the prime cuts, antlers taken and the rest just dumped in a creek bed. Just really pi$$es a person off to see it, knowing that the one game warden won't do anything about it.

SudDawg

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I lost my long time hunting partner a few years ago and I'm getting too old to drag deer two miles out of the mountains by myself so I thought I might take up a new sport; hunting poachers with a video camera! It's just about as rewarding, just as challenging, and I don't have to drag them home.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    it has been horrible in pennville,

my dad was gettin ready to shoot this monster MONSTER buck and guess what here comes this........ drivin his truck back there to scare it or somethin it just has a really bad sinkin feelin in your stomach. i just cant think about it it makes me soooo mad lol

9. D.I.P.

D.I.P. New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Its Always Been Bad In My Area.i Found Two Dead Deer On My Land.they Were Not Killed There But Were Dumped On My Land.