Did anybody ever see or catch a spoonbill at Chain of Rocks last year?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Did anybody ever catch any spoonbill at chain of rocks or alton dam last year? One cold day after they river came up a bunch, I managed to snag 4 tiny spoonbill between 15-24" at Chain of Rocks. Those are the only spoonbill I've seen anybody ever catch there.

2. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I go to chain of rocks a lot and believe me they catch a lot and some really big spoonys there. It just depends on how they are running.

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    What's the biggest spoonbill that you have seen pulled from there? I am used to catching 50-70 pounders on the James River arm of Tablerock so it takes a good fish for me to turn my head. They pulled on that was 139 lbs 4 oz from Tablerock on opening day of 2002, now that was a pig.

4. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    A guy got a 80 pounder there last year while I was there.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Holy crap!! What time of the year was this? I guess I was just going too early in the year.

6. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    i am not a snagger but I believe they have two months from march untill may but I am not sure.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I know the season is March 15 - May 15. What I was wanting to know was what month you seen them catching all of these spoonbill.

I made a few trips in March and early April before turkey season and other than the 4 tiny spoonbill I caught, all I seen pulled out was bighead carp and shad.

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Isn't there a second season around Nov., Dec.? Well, on the Mississippi anyways?

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Yea, they do have a fall season too. It's like Sept. 15 - December 15 I believe. I was wanting to down and try snagging some asians this fall, but I never took the time off from bow hunting to do it.

10. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    I caught 6 spoonies at the rocks last year smallest was 26 lbs and the biggest was 48 ....... It was an early season last year due to the water level....... As far as the dam.... I couldn't tell ya..... I avaoid that place like the plague.....

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Well it's good to see that a few people caught some decent sized spoonbill. I will have to give it a couple shots again this year down at CoR and hope for some nicer bills.

12. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Well I have yet to get a reply to my thread about the chain of rocks, but rumor has it that there will be no more snaggin from shore this year..... The sheriffs department complains of way to many problems down there during the season...... I can understand it..... I won't take the wife or the lil ones there.... Too many bad apples that seem content on starting trouble instead of fish

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    don't discount those bigheads & Silvers they are great fighters and they're great eating too as long as you cut off the red meat! :big_smile:

14. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Oh I know! The bighead/silver carp are the main reason I started going down there to snag. I love to catch those things because pound for pound, they put up more fight than a spoonbill. They taste fantastic too if you cook them down in a pressure cooker and make fish patties out of them.:wink:

I really hope they allow snagging there this year still. The times that I have went, I did not find any "bad apples". Usually there were a lot of other people there too when I went so that is probably why nothing bad was happening. A cop also showed up often too.

I guess there is always the Alton Dam area also. That place is awesome for the asian carp, but I've not heard of anybody who snags there catching anything EXCEPT carp.

15. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    The rumor of closing chain of rocks comes up about every year. I do not believe they will. how ever I will check on it and let every one know.