Did any body from Kansas go snaggin?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by duckgetr, Mar 16, 2008.

1. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went snaggin at Truman yesterday. We caugfht two keepers and two shorts. Our biggest was 60 poundsthough not too bad. We were snaggin right by the o-44 mile marker of the osage arm when a good bunch of fish came through and everybody started catching them. We stayed til 4:30 and we were wore out. how did any one else do. There were a lot of people out there.

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    didnt get to go this year. by the sounds of it you were right along the stretch we were last year and we did real good there too. i caught a 48 & 60 there last year and the rest of the guys bout threw me out of the boat cuz they didnt get anything that weekend. thats what the get cuz the weekend before i didnt get anything. did ya stop and eat at the bar & grill in Cardinal Cove ?? great food there i tell ya. great to hear ya did well !! thanks for the report.

3. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    no just stopped up the road for some sun flower seeds and a dr. pepper. had a two hour drive and I was wore out!!

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    that place is our mid day lunch break. i think we ate there everyday we were there. did you go for the weekend or just for the day ?? i wanna try to make it back there to check out the cat fishin.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good fish Jim...been 15yrs since I been down to the warsaw area sagging.My dad would make that trip on the opening every year.My first trip down there was back before Truman dam was built.But i snagged there at warsaw after the dam was built and had some good trips.

Jason maybe we can get something planed out this year for a cat trip down there.My sister owns a summer house down there at mile marker 76 that i can use most anytime that can sleep 4-5 people.We can talk at the Osage get together and get something planned.I have never fished it for cats but would go up to the damm while we were taking a break from sagging and seen some BIG blue cats caught.I'm game for gettng a few guys from around here and give it a try.My boat can fish 4 pretty good.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Tom , Id really like to get in on that trip. :big_smile:

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Your in Keith..lets all talk when we are at Osage and get something set up.
    I posted on the Missouri site to try and get some info in that area and it sounds like there is some good fishing in that area.

8. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sounds like something I wanna do too...

9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    you got it Tom, sounds good to me.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Tom all the way from the 76 mm to the dam is good area for cats as well as spoonbill. May-June and July are excellent for cats.
    We have a tournament in May there at the Old Oar House Inn (81 MM) and also have a tournament there in June and July at night out of Drake Harbor in Warsaw.
    If you guys get a trip planed shoot me a pm and let me know. I will try to help ya with any info I can.

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Troy thanks alot..that was what i was hoping for was someone that fishes that area could steer us in the right dirrection.I will let you know when we are coming down for sure.But sounds like we should wait at least until May.

Thanks Again
    Tom

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Keith,Jason & Kendrick let's stay in touch on this trip.We will get a date set while down at OSFL.Troy say's May-June-July would be good months down there so we have a little time to plan.Which is good for me because my plate is full here in April.
    Looking forward to (Slapping Cats) "No i'm not talking about them KSU basketball players!

13. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My son and I went to Miami, OK last Friday. He is 7 years old going on 21 and had been bugging me to snagging ever since I took him last year. We got there and there were abour 8 to 10 guys snagging. Saw a couple come in so I thought, what the hell. Tied one on and started pulling. Well, about 5 hooks and weight later, he asked, Dad, can I give it a shot. I said, sure. He put on his hard hat and life jacket and started pulling. Well, he got hung up right away. I tied another on and he started pulling again. I was helping him hold the rod since he is 60 lbs dripping wet. Then he said, CRAP! Dad, I'm hung up! But as soon as I felt the rod, it dipped hard and took off! I yelled "FISH ON" He tried to reel, but it was too much. I helped him land the fish and it turned out to be a 30 lb male spoony! He was so happy! We rolled a few more, but that was it for the day. Fried up a mess last night, man was that good! :big_smile:

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    That's great Troy i bet your sons paulse went up when he hit that spoonie.
    Glad to here your taking him fishing. Man if he can do that sagging he will be a force on cats.

Thanks for the report i have spent a lot of days there in Miami pulling fish is the water running?

I might need to make a run this weekend.You made my mouth water thinking about them frying in a skillet.

Good luck fishing in 08 send some pic of you and your sons catches this yr.

15. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Leaving the 28th for Truman. Sounds like a slow start in general. We need some sun and warm nights and it will be on. I think we will still be a bit early. Good Luck

16. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    where is Cardinal Cove?

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Cardinal Cove is just south of Possum Trot Hollow andBig Buffalo Cove if ya look on google earth.

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    in fact, its 22 miles down stream from the Truman dam

Cardinal Cove
    621 Central Ozarks Rd
    Edwards, MO 65326
    (573) 345-3372

19. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Thanks JJ, looks like the water is high and still coming up. Might be good next weekend if all the wood clears off.

20. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    when we were down there last year it was so low most peoples docks couldn't be used. the dock in the back yard of the cabin we stayed at was sittin in only about 6-8 in. of water. we stayed on the Deer Creek Arm / Thatcher Hollow on the penninsula (sp ?) right about where the skinniest part of it is. our dock is the big white top covered one just north of the skinniest part. we had to use a lady's dock on the other side of the penn. straight out from the dock we were supposed to use is a big flatts area. you can see it on google earth.