Did a little line testing of our own today

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Ghost River, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I read were one of the BOC tested some line using digital scales and a slow pull method to see at what point it would break. I was respooling reels last night and decided to do a little science experiment of my own today.

I had 30#test Cajun Advantage and 30# test Berkley Big Game Hi test (solar green) on hand. I cut 2- 6 foot pieces off each spool and tied a loop in each end. I hooked on loop onto a nail in the work table and clipped the scale onto the other.

Berkley 30# test snapped at 36 pounds of pressure initially. As the other tester did I retied and pulled a second time. Snapped at 24 pounds.

Cajun 30# test snapped initially at 31 pounds of pressure. Retied it snapped at 30.

The test was repeated with results similar (within a pound or 2 of first test).

Just thought I'd share that with you. I just think it is amazing that someone figured out how to take a piece of cheap plastic that is only 23 thousandsths of an inch thick and make it withstand 30 of pressure in tension. Fish on!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Did it a few years back and was dissapointed in the cajun then. THANX!

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Read my review of Momoi line. The 20# broke at 30-32 pounds.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Keep in mind, that you are fighting a fish with alot more than 6' of line, here is where the stretch value comes in. Along with the play in the rod, the stretch in the line, and the drag setting on the reel, most times you never exceed the limit on the line anyway!!! Just food for thought!!!

5. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Looks like the Cajun is the best line over the long haul.
    Jake

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Dang Nabbit J.W. Your Right Again!!!!! Have A Twinkie On old J.D.
    :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    [quote GhostRiverTimberCo ]Berkley 30# test snapped at 36 pounds of pressure initially. As the other tester did I retied and pulled a second time. Snapped at 24 pounds.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Those tests sound fine as far as they go, but to me, they raise more questions than they give answers. Where did the line tend to break most? We all know that knots are generally the weakest point on our line, so maybe the knot strength of the line is really what's being tested? Attaching the line at each end without using knots would test only the line. Hooking a loop onto a nail sounds like there's a lot of abrasion resistance testing at that point. That could easily account for the line breaking so much easier on the second try. Tests of actual line break point, knot strength, and abrasion resistance are equally important, so all tests are useful.

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    GhostRiver

Test your knots now plz!! Testing your knots IF u never did it may shock some, it did me.

I'm with Dreadnaught & jtrew on what they said!!

I use 50# lines due to all the snags in the areas I fish for the biggins. My drag is set @ an est pull of about 14#s. I use a "Breakway Sinker" that I lose @ 18#s, the hook leader @ the hook goes @ 28#s and the knots that join my "Super Line" to the mono leaders goes @ 34#s....all tested over n over again!! This saves me Alot of time re-riggin up...like I said "Snag City" there.

??? Ever try to pick up 20#s on your hook with your rod....he hee?????

:dribble:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When using expensive 'superline', I like to use a heavy swivel at the end, then tie on a mono leader of lesser strength so it will break before the superline.

11. catman lo

catman lo New Member

State:
    north carolina
    GhostRiver is still banned but his ban gets lifted tonight. He should be on here after that unless he works on his house till midnight again. I tested the lines with him. WE still use the Big Game even though it didn't test as well. 'The cajun doesn't show in a black light very well and has way too mush memory. It works great for some of our leaders though.