Diary Entry ... January 14 , 2008

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 14, 2009.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    If there was ever a day when one would like to be home sitting in front of a fireplace ... it might be today. But as all good, loyal, law abiding trappers .... I ventured out to check my traps here in Central Ohio. When I left this morning around 9:30 AM, it was 8 degrees, wind at 6 MPH SE, and wind chill at 4 degrees. Half way to the first stop it started snowing. Light a first then ... bigger flakes began falling and blowing sideways. With the coming Alberta Clipper, ice has began to build quickly and has dropped the water level in most streams and ditches by more than 2 inches. The first 8 traps, mink and muskrat sets produced nothing and 6 of the 8 were frozen in. All 8 of these traps were pulled. The next stop was a roadside ditch mink set, water still open, nothing in trap ... so I left it.

The next location was a #330 beaver set ... it was fine no beaver ... left it ... Same farm where set the 5 colony traps yesterday, produced one large rat and one extra large rat. The colony traps are in a ditch with a good flow of water, but ice had formed on most all of the pools ... moved traps into the faster water ... water had dropped 2 inches from ground freezing, slowing down run off.

The next location had 2 mink traps at a bridge ... one frozen in ... pulled it other okay left it.

Next stop had 2 #330's one is under water with ice covering and other is small stream running into a river ... this is where caught the 51 pounder ... water still running good there ... so left both of them.

Next location a roadside culvert mink set ... still good left it .

Next location was a beaver dam with a #330 ... some open water trap tripped ... baited with Woodchipper lure and left it. Same are has a small feed being used by both rats and beaver partly open, partly frozen .. nothing, but left it. Beaver lodge partly frozen opened it up hoping it will stay open for a while ... drowning rig with foothold ... left it.

Next location had mink set at a drain tile ... from soild ... pulled it and and a nearby #220 ....

Last location had 2 rat feed sets ... both frozen adn pulled them ... a nearby mink set at a filed tile was open so left it. This set has produced 5 mink this year.

The roads are so I couldn't get to my last 2 locations ... hoping round up someone with 4-wheel drive this after noon ... there are 5 mink sets and 4 rats sets at these locations ....

They are calling for up to 6 inchs of blowing snow this afternoon and very cold conditions tonight and the next 2 days and nights ... down to -7 tomorrow night without wind chill figured in ....

Well ... that is how my day has gone ... not warm and cozy ... just doing what a trapper does ....... Garry- :cool2:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know whether to congratulate you or just get ya a cup of coffeye.. I cant imagine. I know how bad it is 20 miles from you, but that sounds like not much fun. However, dedication is what pays off! So, I tip my hat to you.. If it wasn't so bad outside, and I was alittle closer I would bring my truck over. Just alittle to far to travel in these conditions. I shoveled the driveway off alittle while ago. That is a dry snow. Very light to move, it is gonna cause for some nasty drifting if we get the winds... good report and get warm brother.. rollo

3. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Garry I applaud You, I would like to think all trappers were as law abiding and consciences as You.
    But we both know that's not the case nowadays.
    My dad instilled a grate respect for the laws of trapping and respect of the animals we trapped,You try to get to the traps not so much because its the law but because even though you trap them you don't want to let them freeze to death or injure themselves once it gets daylight for long and they start really trying to get out.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I just finished skinning, fleshing and stretching the the animals caught the last couple of days ... 3 rats and a mink .... one rat from yesterday was found dead and frozen in a 1.5 coil ... I didn't look it over very well until I started skinning it. I thought it had died from the elements, but that was not the case .... it had been bitten 2 or 3 time around the head and neck, one time piercing the skull ... I am sure this was the mink that we later caught that did the damage .... Another rat, from todays catch only had 3 legs and it was healed completely over so there wasn't even much of a scar on the inside of the pelt when stretched. I talked to the fellow that trapped this area last year and he told me he lost one rat last year that left it's left front foot in the trap ... This dude was missing a left front foot. It always makes me feel good to catch one that has been injured before .... Garry- :wink:

5. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Great job gettin out there and checkin. Nice to see someone still actually checks their traps and pulls them. Tough conditions for a while still Garry. Now getcha some 4x4 brother.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Garry congrats to you for your dedication to the trapping sport. You are tough to venture out in those conditions. Reps.