Diaphram/Gasket, or repair kit?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by KansasKatter, Oct 31, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey experts, I am giong to attempt the cleaning of my carburator myself, should I order the complete repair kit, or just the diaphram/gasket kit? My problem I believe is dirt/rust in the carb. At least i hope that is all it is. Bogging or starving for fuel under power.

Thanks!

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Jeff if it was me personally I'd order the kit that way you have everything you need if there's more trouble. It shouldn't be very much. JMO

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    jEFF, check your local automotive repair stores. They carry or have access to a whole lot of outboard parts. Maybe cheaper than a dealer and in this area it is overnight service.

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    personally i would go with the complete rebuild kit no harm in rebuilding the hole thing

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Please don't cut corners with those carbs. Get the whole rebuild kit.

Soak those things over night and clean them good and take compressed air and blow out every little orifice.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks Bubba!

While I was ordering the kit, I was looking at the fuel filter assembly and noticed a seal that goes between the bowl and top of the assembly. Mine does not have this seal. If this is all that is wrong, and it is sucking air at this seal, I am going to scream!!:crazy:

I ordered this seal and new filter as well.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Let me guess, you have a Mercury carb?

If I'm right, why don't you tell us what HP it is. Might have some tips on doing the job.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Bob, yes it is a Mercury, 25HP model XD, an '84 I believe.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. By looking at it, it is very similar to carburators on Tecumsea engines, which I have been working on since gradeschool with my Grandfather, I hope it is that simple.:smile2:

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah, I figured it had to be a merc with the fuel pump and primer pump attached.

Disassemble this carb over a container, and don't loose the tiny ball that's in the primer. Watch out for the little spring in there too.