Diamondback ingesting a squirrel

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Nov 30, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    A friend sent these pictures to my niece. He was on his property when he noticed his dog having a fit over by the fence. Checking it out he found this diamondback ingesting a squirrel. The snake could not strike the dog because it was in the process of swallowing the squirrel which takes some time to accomplish. The pics of the snake on the ground didn't come out well so he put it in a trailer for better definition. Corpus Christi, TX

As a teen I had been swimming in a large creek here in AR. As I came out of the water up a steep bank a water moccasin came down the bank headed to the water. It shot between my legs with a large bull frog in it's mouth half swallowed. It look similar as these pictures. I probably wet my already wet shorts.

Attached Files:

2. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Cool pictures olefin, thanks for sharin em.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    squirrel.... the other ,other white meat
    squirrel....its whats for dinner:lol:
    good pics
    ar has some badA snakes copperheads and cottonmouths are the
    only venemous snkes i encountered there but my grandma has told us of some very large rattlers about 6 feet long.
    i have in the past seen pictures of some doozies,my pop is on the phone talkin to my son and i just asked him if he had any of those pics and he says he knows for sure he has one that his sister is in the picture
    holding it after it was dead of course .
    i may have told this before here but my grandma had went to milk the cows one morning and not haveing a lantern with her she was about to enter the barn lot and she stopped as she said something didnt feel right
    maybe the animals were restless or too quiet ?
    she went back to the house and got a lantern then returned and found a rattle snake comeing out of the barn over 6 feet long she had to get grandpa and he took it out with a garden hoe or shovel!!!!!
    i would have used a shotgun myself:embarassed:

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Holy Cow, I was wondering what happened to all the squirrels around here. We have are share of rattlers.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Uh. That's cool!

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cool pic's. I have been around a lot ot R. Snakes. My teen years in S. Texas. I caught a few and even ate a few.
    Now days, except for a copper head a few weeks ago. I dont mess with em.

I do got a pet snake that once was my Sons. It eats rats bout as big as that squirrel once a month or so. Ball python, 6' long and fat. Very quite pet. LOL.

Good for the dog the snake was eating and good for you that WM had a frog in mouth.
    Those WM's get big and they stink. Scares the heck out of me.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    But I don't do snakes so just keep him down there,although I have been told by our fish and game department that our whole state is literally blanketed with Timber Rattlesnakes. I hope never to see any! They scare me!:crazy:

8. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thats crazy man, thanks for sharing

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    in wyoming we killed several and dad would cut off their rattlers , the rattler part of the tail is formed when they shed their skin , in the northern climates they say they only shed once a year so the number of buttons tells their age . dad has killed them with ten buttons he said once when him and a freind were out hunting they came across one that coiled up with its head 4 ft off the ground and as big as two fists palms together wide dads buddy stood very still while dad picked up a stick and broke its neck with a home run swing it had 14 buttons . we were rabbit hunting once and i stepped on one it buzzed to warn me but couldnt strike cause i was standing on its head i never saw it till after i heard the buzzing it was small only about two ft long it had 3 buttons on its tail . the biggest one i ever seen in person was 5 ft and about as big around as your fore arm we skinned it and had it for lunch i was only 11 years old cant remember how it tasted been told they tast like chicken . once while me and vern and our cuzin were hunting grouse in the big horn mountains i shot one that was as green as grass i was upset that i shot the head off but more upset that my 20 ga took out the rattlers aswell , i never knew they could change colors to blend in with their suroundings .

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Many times a snake will spit it's meal out if it's harassed.

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    eric your right i seen that in our backyard this past summer
    seen a large gartersnake with a fat toad half way in and when i went to move it out of the path of the splashslide it was in it let loose rather quickly and took off toad was dead.
    my son sure had a great surprise when he went down that slide and ended up face to face with it:tounge_out:

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How old do Rattlers generally live i.e. without human intervention?

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Now thats a mouth full!
    Bill

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the pics. Snakes are so cool.

15. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Datyon,

Thanks for the pictures. We've had countless number of encounters with snakes in MS. I recently was walking out in my yard and along the edge of the woodline a small brownish snake ( didnt get a good look at it) was hauling..to get away from me. It was right by my feet. It was gone by the time I had a clue to react. My husband has had them all over the rig locations in west Texas, amoung scorpians as well.

Thanks for sharing them :wink:

16. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Them pictures kinda gives me the willies.

st

17. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Cool pics, Dayton! Thanks for sharing.

When I was a kid there was a place that raised rattlesnakes on the mountain. We would stop there from time to time just to watch them. It was the Sunday drive event, I guess, because almost everyone I know went there as a child.

The building was torn down several years ago, but I bet there are plenty up there still, because when they closed down, they set them free.

Take care.
    Cheryl

18. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Very interesting view of nature Dayton, thank you.

19. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for sharing...I've never actually seen any rattlesnakes before, just in pictures...but out of the pics of them I've seen, that one is by far the coolest!

20. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Very neat , thanks