Diamond Valley Lake Catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Dec 11, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Some of you folks may have fished the new Diamond Valley Lake. Its the one that was put together with the public in mind as they created this big "Inland Empire" lake....
    The sportsmen kind of "took it in the shorts" when they opened it up, and did not allow 2 stroke engines on it.....On top of that, you have to have your 4 stroke engines checked and the boat certified for emissions, and checked for the quagga mussel infestation...

Well, this lake is being "re opened" for public boating use Dec 20th..

A local fisherman just caught a 31.2 lb cat.... I imagine that it is a "blue" as the lake was "planned" as far as building the fishery. When the lake is full, I believe that the deepest area is 150 deep. There is lots of bait fish there, and the striper fishing produces large fish as well.

I dont think that it will be to long, but a state record catfish may come from this lake....

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Lake record is in the 40's now. We have to see what transpires as far as a state record if they grow bigger and obtain that brood stock size. San Vicente and Otay stand the best chance for a state record as of now until those fish die over that is in the 100 plus pound range. Some believes there is even 120 pounder roaming those water possible even a world record. Definitely some bigger than the 113 pound record that is of right now.

My boat was certified already for DVL when I brought it but may need to get it recertified since I have not been there. Pontoon and trolly have caught 20 pound class blues there and several dd's there in the past. I have not been there because I am stuck on San Diego and is waiting for them to grow bigger before I actual head there. But just may need to check it out for their spectacular panfishing and maybe a shot at a nice striper.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Blue. Its been three yrs at least since I was certified for Skinner/DV lake. Certification is a visual check of specs of the motor, but more than that they do an inspection of the boat, and it is lake regs, as well as boating and safety rules. If your boat is Coast Guard approved you are more than qualified.

4. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    DVL opens on the 12th for a special tourny and on the 13th for season pass holders only new stipulation is that your boat must be banded for quagga muscle 's best to get this done this week before the lake is open to the general public avoid the crowds :roll_eyes: LDJ

5. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    You areight Ray, I have always said a state record catfish will come out of DVL in the future. Not only for catfish but for other species as well.
    I hope to fish the lake some time.

Jaime