Diameter of mono VS braided

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by mailhiker, Feb 18, 2007.

1. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    On "Catfish Connection" in the hooks section it will state the maximum size of braided line for each hook. I use Mono , how does the diameter of braided match up against mono line?:crazy:

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I don't know exactly, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. I use some Daiichi hooks that it lists the maximum braided nylon for as 24lb. I've used 80lb mono leaders on those without a problem. I doubt that the mono line diameter will ever be a problem unless you use very small hooks with a way out of proportion line weight.

3. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks for clearing that up. It didn't make much since to me for a hook of those sizes not to be compatible with popular lines.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think it would only depend on the size of the eye on the hook and what type of knot you use.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Other than whether the diameter of the line will fit in the hook eye, it doesn't matter what size line you use, braided or mono. If the line is too stout and you hang up, all that might happen is the hook will pull straight or break off.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mike,
    I think you'll find that they are referring to the braided lines used for making trotlines/setlines etc. They are different to the "Super" braid line we use on our reels...W

7. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks Metalman, the more I thought about it, thats what I assumed. Appreciate it.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you were wanting to know hook sizes id recomend getting the mail order cattalog from them it shows full size picks of all the hooks best thing for people buying hooks online or mail order!!!!!!

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Braided Line has a smaller diameter.