DHEC fish consumption report?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by rivercatsc, May 23, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Has anyone ever read this report? My mother works there and she sent me a copy and after reading it I strongly reccomened everyone especially those with kids to read it. It is a very imformative guide and also an eye opener. There are several lakes and rivers that are a no consumption body of water. All of you Hartwell fisherman deffitnatly need to read cause it has the worst of all polutants and fish are never suppose to be fried from there and need to be cleaned in a certain manner. You should be able to read it on the internet or go to your local office and pick up a free copy. Please let me know what you think of it cause I never had a clue that all that exsisted.

2. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina

3. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the info. I've also heard all catfish over 25 pounds, if eaten, cause hair loss, fat gain, impotence, cancer, liver disease, heart disease, back pain, tooth loss, and ear aches....and that's if you only eat one or two of 'em.....if you eat more than that they say it really gets bad!

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I read it and the two main places I fish, Wylie and Monticello are not listed with any warnings that I could find. Thanks for posting about this. It's something people need to read.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have read it in the past and have talked to many people about it and the majority of people don't pay it any attention...they eat want they want to eat when they want to eat it and so far have had no problems...there's people that have eaten fish from hartwell on a weekly basis for the past 15 years i talked to and have had no obvious signs of any trouble...now maybe one day they will wake up and have no memory or they may be bald or whatever but i guess it's all in what you wanna risk for eaten fish...i would venture to say that the fat your frying your fish in will kill you before the pollutants in the fish will...i would also caution all fish from the grocery store and restraunts is not any safer than some fish from hartwell and other lakes but people eat it everyday...i personally only harvest fish for the table from lakes with a "good health report" cause it's a peace of mind thing...but then again you gotta die from something...if the "infected" fish don't get ya than chances are something else is gonna.

6. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Thanks for the post. Most of the people that I supply fish for want to know where I caught the fish at. I don't fish Hartwell for table fair but good to know.It's my experience that most people prefer the smaller cats 2 to 3 lbers from rivers for taste. Fillet out of the skin, remove red meat, and remove yellow back strips.

7. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't get overly excited about a report like this, but it did mention that the mercury was especially harmful to kids. I've got two little ones and they eat a lot of catfish that I catch. So I won't take ANY unnecessary risks with their health. They won't be eating any fish out of any of those lakes. I probably wouldn't think twice about eating them myself. But it won't be for the kids.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Its sad that fish from certain bodies of water cannot be consumed or only in small quantities. Goverment realy needs to straighten some things.

9. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    The Clean Water Act that has been in affect since 1977 pretty much put a stop to all industry polutants. The waste water treatment plants that my company builds have to meet high standards with DHEC & EPA. Released water is drink able and have holding tanks with live fish in them for test purpose. The major problem with water today is runoff from farms,highways,and yards.

10. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

man you nailed that one brother!!!!...except for an isolated incident here and there the major issues are exactly what you said...runoff, runoff, runoff!!!!!!!!

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I mainly put this on here for the warnings about children under the age of 14 and women who are pregnant or thinking of getting that way it is real important for them to eat fish with any kind of warning. They also do reccomened limitations on all store bought fish cause they say they are for the most part no better. What made me ask my mother to get it for me was a guy that came for the weigh-in at my last tournament was talking about a friend of his was real sick and in thehospital for a about a week and they didnt know what was wrong with him until they discovered he had super high levels of mercury and he eat fish out of the same river I do. I think he was eating fish about 3-4 times a week though. I might eat fish 1-2 times a month. Heck a little mercury probably isnt as bad as Mcdonalds twice a week.LOL I reckon I cant say to much I work at probably the main pollution place in my area. I just wanted to bring it to everyones attention cause I know I have never given it a thought before now.

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    It is just another reason to eat smaller fish. They are exposed less. Large fish have many years to store up toxins--esp flatheads which take longer to mature and are top line predators.

13. BassTrackerMac

BassTrackerMac New Member

State:
    Liberty, SC
    I won't argue that there are fish in those lakes that should not be eaten. I agree that the larger fish are the ones to worry about. That being said, you have to really eat A LOT of fish to probably see any ill effects (no pun intended), but for the casual fish eater, a serving of fish a few times a month is'nt much to worry about. I think that report is just the Govt's way of "warning" everyone just in case someone tries to sue the state or nat'l govt. i.e., people suing the cigarette company when they get cancer.....Hello.....they tell you smoking is not good for your health! And before any of you proud smokers out there tries to give me a hard time, let me tell you about my late Father who recently passed away from cancer. I KNOW what cigarettes can do. It's not a bit funny:angry:

Some of you folks won't eat fish from Hartwell. The Keowee River arm of Hartwell runs as clear and clean as Lake Keowee itself, at least down to where Newry runs into Keowee. I do a lot of fishing up this arm and never worry what I am eating from it. 12 Mile arm is another story. I'll still eat fish from this arm, but they are usually small catfish and, again, I'm only eating these fish a couple times a month at most.

I think the operative word in all this discussion is "cautious". You can enjoy the fish from Hartwell and those at other lakes, but must maintain a common sense consumption. Just my two cents........:embarassed:

14. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I dont want to get in a big post about this topic, but i'll sum up my thoughts. I've done several projects in college on the pcb contamination in lake hartwell. I grudged through and read all of the monstrous reports released by the EPA specific to lake hartwell. If you want to read them you can get on EPA's website and read for days and days and days. Anyways, to sum up everything i researched, i feel comfortable eating all the fish I want from lake hartwell. If you get on that website it will show you their test results on a yearly basis for the last 12 years or so. Most of the fish they tested are within the federal guidelines for pcb which is under 2 parts per trillion. Some stripers, hybrids, and larger catfish had readings up to 3 or 4 parts per trillion, but if you look over the years the amount of pcb has been declining. Even these fish would be safe to eat. They are just barely over the federal limit. You would have to eat an ton of these fish to increase your odds of symptoms from the pcb. They give statistics on the website of how many pounds of fish you would have to eat to increase your chance of getting symptoms from the pcb by like 1/100,000. It was virtually impossible to eat enough fish to reach that level.

The EPA even sent out 5,000 surveys several years ago to try and find people who regularly ate fish from lake hartwell. Out of those 5,000 they received back like 2,000 and out of those 2,000 they narrowed the list down to 100 people they thought ate the most fish from lake hartwell. Out of those people they had blood work done for all of them to see what their levels of pcb were. Every single person in the survey was considered to have a similar amount of pcb as the general public has except for one person. It turns out this person worked at the sangamo plant that released the chemicals and used these chemicals on a daily basis for like 38 years or something like that.

Here is the site you go look at if your interested. http://www.epa.gov/region4/waste/npl/nplsc/sangamsc.htm

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think itd be near impossible to find a waterway without some type of fish consumption advisory. It may be better than it was but that isnt saying much. Mercury can be natural but most of the pollution is man made and we arent doing near enough to care for our fishing.

16. daveaf

daveaf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think that I would have to agree with many in this post; you would have to eat tons of fish for it to have any affect. Granted, we need to make sure that our natural resources are taken care of, but we must remember that these fish are living like us and if the water was bad would they not die.

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Ingested heavy metals do not cause immediate harm, so if old people eat them is would be very hard to track any morbidity associated with ingestion of tainted fish. The most immediate concern is in women and children. Heavy metals and certain chemicals can cause problems in developing DNA which is the basic blueprint for all cells leading to a variety of potential problems both neurologic and developmental. Other chemicals PCB, 2-4D the list goes on may increase your risk of cancer.

I do agree that the scare is there. I have spoken with some biologists and they say that the levels of chemicals in "wild" fish has much more restrictive parameters placed than do store bought commercial fish. I took that to mean that commercial fish have more mercury and other undesirables than "wild" fish.

Fish are good to eat and are good for you. Just use common sense and stay away from eating the larger fish which have concentrated whatever resides in the water. If you are 65 and want to eat a biggun, I doubt it will lead to your demise. But don't feed large fish to women who are pregnant or small kids.

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That was exactly my point for putting this thread on here. Thanks Rodger well put.

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I hate to argue this point but here goes.

The BIG companies that ARE polluting these waters, are willing to pay the insignificant fines (25,000.00) for each infraction (if they get caught). When it cost them hundreds of thousands or maybe millions a month to disspose of it properly. Unless the fines are made to match or exceed the present cost of proper dissposal, they are not gonna stop polluting our waters. Do the Math Brothers!!!