Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8,592 Posts
Thanks for that information.
On a 97 blazer there has been
2 upper and lower intake gaskets put on it.
1 heater core and fixing to take a sludged radiator out of it.

Yep, I believe I would like to claim a little of that expense back considering the gasket replacements run anywhere from 550.00 -800.00 around here.
The one dealership I talked to never would give me a firm price. Just an around 1200.00 price.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Its about time something happens.I worked on Oldsmobiles and as soon as the warranty was up we always suggested flushing the entire system with a backflush and replace with regular anti-freeze.

That orange stuff was crap.I started to by a 2002 Sonoma but passed on it all because of the Dex-Cool and the orange sludge in the coolant resevior.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Great! I'm on the second motor on an Pontiac Montana - intake gasket went on engine #1 and dumped coolant into the crankcase - and the "new" motor has had the intake gasket replaced on it as well. Whether it's the Dex-Cool or not anything new will be non-GM. Until FoMoCo hoses me over, then I'll switch to something else:smile2:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I can attest to the poor characteristics of dex-cool. I worked in a g.m.dealer for some time. we had cars coming in with 60,000 miles on them and the coolant was grease! I used to get so peeved when I could'nt get the writers to sell the customer a coolant flush. I argued it's better to admit that the coolant does'nt last 100,000 miles, and get it flushed out. than to let it develop into engine damage later. They never listened.......

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Cuts both ways - most of us are so used to trying to be sold stuff that we may not need a lot of people probably wouldn't have taken the advice to get it done, me included.:embarassed:

Reps to ya for looking out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.