Dewey Lakes Weeds

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by EKYHunter, Aug 8, 2008.

1. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Hey, new member here and I have a question? Is anyone else having problems with all the weeds in the water at Dewey Lake (Prestonsburg Ky.). It makes fishing off the bank almost impossible. Which is a big problem for me since I dont own a boat. My Family and I love to go fishing but it is getting harder and harder evertime now with all the weeds. I have fished Dewey all my life and if my memory doesnt fail me I have never seen Dewey have this much vegetation in it. Is this a good thing or bad thing for Dewey? It is bad for me , bank fisherman.:confused2:

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    First of all welcome to the BOC. I haven't fished Dewey this yr. I stop buy the other day to look at it. The weeds are as bad as I can remember seeing them. Was planing on going tonight but plans change. Well as for being good or bad I guess from the bank fisherman point I'm going to say it's aggravating as any thing

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Gary Garret he's from up there in P-burg haven't seen him on in a week or so though. There is getting to be a good group from E.Ky.on here:wink:

4. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Thanks Ken , happy to be here. I usally fish with 2 or 3 other ppl. and tring to find places where we all can be together is almost impossible now at Dewey. Very aggreviating... Im new to catching Catfish, have fished for them on and off for years with no luck. Talked to some friends and went fishing with them and caught some and now I am HOOKED! Cant get enough. Im a Catfishing rookie with all the equipment and alittle bit of time here and there, tring to figure them out. Cant wait to my next days off to try them again... All advise and help will be greatly appreciated!

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Well I haven't fished Dewey this year.:crazy: they should be biting though. Do you fish days or nights mostly? I usually have found them out on the points at night on Dewey in past years :wink: Fish from boat mostly.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Been fishing the river mostly this year .Not caught any thing big enough to brag about.

7. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    I fish mostly at night right now , when I can I try to get there about 7pm and fish till 8-10am the next morning. The next time we go I am thinking about going to the river, never been before , figure I give it a try.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Ya don't have the weed problem in the river. I enjoy fishing the river

9. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Well I got to get ready to go to work and make some money to pay for the next Fishing trip . Catch ya'all tomorrow. Looks like I have found a new home...:big_smile:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Good we see ya later

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If you will fish without a sinker in those weeds you should catch some. the sinker drags the bait down in the weeds. or fish with a slip float rig.keep the bait on top of them weeds.Don't figure catfish will plow through weeds to eat. The weeds create a fake bottom . or if you can get your bait into a channel in the weeds. figure cat fish are like deer travel the trail of least resistance. Thats just my way of thinking. and that is what I would try. Liver for bait get fresh not frozen stays on hook better. Get mine at Sav-O-Lot. Might try Shad or Blue gill for bait. heads or fillets Or live under a float rig.Hope this helps

12. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Hey thanks I will try that. The next time I get to go fishing by myself I will get in touch with you and we will go fishing. Hopefully this thurs. I will get to go fishing and try that. I will more that likely going to Dewey or the River.:big_smile:

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!! Ken has given you some good advice so far. Me and Firechief4201 & Junior42 was up there a few weeks ago and the weeds were horrible. My advice from the bank is use a slip floater. I was packed for the river and didn't have any floaters with me that night.
    We ended up not catching anything. Lots of snakes up there.:eek:oooh:
    BTW,Firechief Danny doesn't like Copperheads being thrown at him......:eek:oooh::crazy::roll_eyes::smile2:

14. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky

Thanks , if it doesnt rain thursday and friday we are going to Dewey and try it again. The weeds are real bad and the snakes well I dont want to talk about that right now... I use the slip bobber method for panfishing and havent tried it yet for catfishing. Have you tried the drop-shot method with a slip bobber for catfish, where the weight is at the bottom and the hook is about a foot above weight tied directly on to the line. My wife doesnt like snakes crawling up the bank and curlying up beside her either Firechief Danny.

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Parker
    Catfish John And firechief Danny are friends I've met on here. Both are great cat fishermen.
    Most of the time i opt out for no weight when fishing weeds like that. At night it's hard for me to keep up with the floater

16. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky

Yea , they sound nice. Cant wait to chat with them. I am just a sponge soaking up all the knowledge I can.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I understand what you are saying . There is a lot of info on here to soak up.
    I'm stile soaking it up too. I have catfished for yearsand I learn some thing new daily.
    My PC is going to be down a couple days this week think the guy wants it tomorrow evening. But I'll be back asap

18. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Ken, next time we are your way I'll bring a weedeater so when John falls in he can take care of some of those weeds.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Cool!! I think what has caused them to be so bad this yr.. Is all the pretty weather we have had has let the sun penetrate into the water deeper for longer periods of time, letting the weed grow like crazy.:confused2:

20. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Yea the weeds are bad it has totally change my fishing method . I hope I can figure it out and make the change and start catching more fish.:confused2: Like I said before I have never seen it this bad. I am curious about how the boaters are dealing with it.