Detroit River - Newbie Skunked!

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by davedmg, May 29, 2007.

1. davedmg

davedmg New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I am new to this board, and new to catfishing.

My buddy and I handline for walleyes on both sides of the Detroit River( Canadian and Michigan) near Ecorse, Michigan. We almost always catch a few, and we often catch our 5 or 6 fish limits.

But I wanted to fish for catfish, so yesterday (Memorial Day) we hit the water at the crack of noon, caught some white perch for cut bait. and fished many different areas of the River. We fished the shallows, mid-depths, and deep water (30 feet+), and we fished hard bottoms, soft bottoms, and weedy bottoms both in and out the current.

We got nuthin! In fact, we didn't even catch any walleyes when we switched over to handlines at 4:30 pm.

We would appreciate any tips you might pass on to us, including tips on where we SHOULD fish rather than the Detroit River.

-- Old Dave, Still Trying After All These Years:embarassed:

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Welcome to the boc Dave! Well I'm no pro and haven't fished the Detroit river in years but the first thing i would do is find some structure rock, log, bridge, fish earlier in the morning or later before dark into the night! Try raw shrimp cut bait and crawlers or stink bait

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Dave! As you can see, I live in NC, so I know nothing about the Detroit River. However, I'd like to say welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you :smile2:.

4. davedmg

davedmg New Member

State:
    Michigan
    OK, we will fish from just before dark until our fannies give out! Do you suggest a bottom rig or slip bobber?

-- Old Dave, Still Trying After 10,000 Failures

5. davedmg

davedmg New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Very kind of you! -- Old Dave:big_smile:

6. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I use a slip sinker rig but thats just my choice

7. cshire

cshire New Member

Dave,

I'm intersted in learning to catch cats on the big river as well but the info seems pretty hard to come by.

There are millions of articles on walleye and walleye techniques but not much on cats. I guess we'll just have to try a bunch of ways and see what works.

Craig

8. davedmg

davedmg New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I agree! The guys who know how to catch them in the DR don't want to reveal their spots, so we newbies must pay our dues and learn how to become successful cat fisherman.

I can tell you this. In the late spring there is a run of channel cats close to shore in the DR at Ecorse. The run has not happened yet, but will probably start any day now. The local shore fisherman use raw shrimp or chicken livers and some of them catch quite a few fish.

Also, just after ice-out I have seen big catfish caught by shore fishermen at Harly-Ensign Park near Metro Beach Park. They too use shrimp.:0a26: