Determining size

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jedt, Jun 23, 2007.

1. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I recently had my scale go kaput :sad2:. Going to be about 2 weeks before the budget will let me buy the scale I want. If I go fishing and catch a decent one i proly can estimate by looking. I hace seen formulas estimating fish weight by multiplying length x girth by what else I don't know.

I was wondering does this formula work good on catfish? Is there any diffence between species in this formulas and what the heck is the rest of it?

2. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Jedt, it shoudl work fine. The same forumal is used for water body records with TPW to verify weights for fish. It gives you a ball park estimate and surpisngly is pretty close (within a few ounces, I've found) I'll see if I can't find the link on their site and post it

3. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    you can use your bathroom scale if you have one. weigh yourself then yourself with the fish it should be close to actual weight.

4. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Thanks hillcountry I can find the TPW. Hard to remeber their exact addres because it has a lot of dot this and dot that.

5. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Found it but it is a little complicated to remember for me. Here goes:
    How can I estimate the weight of a fish that was caught and released?
    You will need to have the length and girth of the fish to calculate an estimate. This formula works for all fish, although the example is for largemouth bass. To get weight in pounds, square the girth in inches (girth multiplied by itself) then multiply this times the length in inches. Divide this product by 800.
    For example, we can use one of the recent ShareLunker bass. The girth was 20.25 inches and the length was 26 inches. First, take 20.25 x 20.25 to get 410.06. Multiply this times 26 to get 10,661.6. Divide this by 800 to get 13.33 pounds. The actual weight of this particular bass was 13.05 pounds, so that is a reasonable estimation.