Detecting

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by catfish slick, Jan 1, 2010.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Well I got out of the house yesterday for the first time sense Christmas, because the weather had been so foggy and cold, but now the sun was out and it had warmed up quite bit and it looked like a perfect day to go detecting. I hadn't been out their hunting to long when I got a cell phone call from a cousin of mine that use to hunt with me all the time. He and his wife wanted to come out where I was detecting. Now they are both in their 70s and he has not been out with his detector in several years. and I know from experience what this will do to you if you are out of shape, and I was surprised that they both lasted about an hour. and, I was not two disappointed when they said they they had enough for the day, as I was kind of pooped out my self. But we left on a positive note, that they wanted to go out again Saturday if the weather was nice. The place we were hunting Is where I had dug an 1898s Barber dime and that nice green river Whiskey watch fob on my last two trips their and and we were still digging up a lot of small pieces Brass and copper objects that could have been coins, but was not. but that tells me that it hasn't been hunted very well. I did find a nice nickel size token to add to my collection, on one side it says, THE WHEN- OC MC,PROUD- 406 4TH ST- SANTA ROSA CAL- the back says GOOD FOR 5 CENTS IN TRADE ONLY- So Anyway, the weather was nice, I did get a little exercise, and visited with good friends, what more could a fellow ask for.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Phillip were glad you were able to get out and enjoy the day detecting.

3. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    that good that yall had a fun day.....wish i could find some money.

4. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alot of good vids on you tube of some nuggets out there in cali-

It's always been a fun sport for me.

5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    That nuget hunting is something I have not tried, and I don't live all that Far from the mother load country.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am gonna get a detector as soon as I can, it's something I been dying to get into for years. I know of a couple old home sites and an old mill that are in the middle of a large tract of private land I hunt on. I don't don't know but doubt they have ever been searched, they are really hidden out of the way...

I want to get get one of the better Bounty Hunters, havent decided on what model yet....

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Mike Thanks for for pertisipating on the Detector Thread. I think you will enjoy detecting, their's is nothing to compair with the feeling you get when digging a nice old coin, token, are Ring out of the ground. I enjoy fishing and hunting as much as anyone can, but the hobby of metal detecting will get in your blood like nothing else can. I have a whites detector, But your Choice of Bounty Hunter is a good one, They have made detectors for years, and it just depends on what you get use to. the main thing is, don't let it set in the closet, I have seen so many people do that.

8. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Hi All, I do like to detect myself. I do have to admit that I have had my White's Eagle Spectrum sitting on top of my computer desk for a year now and will have to wait till the ground thaws before I can get out. I do know that after the spring is some of the best times to go because the metal will be raised from the freeze thaw cycle so you can find new stuff in the spring in the same place's you've already hit. In the past, I have found some nice silver dimes and buffalo nickels at Eureka College which is within 8 miles of my home. Did a lot of restoration work on almost every building on the campus when I was in the construction trades. This is where Regan went. When ever we had to dig dirt with a backhoe, I'd bring my Spectrum with me and at lunch and after work, I'd canvas the area. Found lots of old coins there. Always had good luck around those big trees on the campus, seems the students use the trees to lean up against and would have coils fall out of their pockets.
    My Eagle Spectrum is an older model but it does do a great job of going deep. I have no problem getting 10 inches deep with it.
    I do have something to pass along to those that have waterproof coils and like to look for rings and such. I must admit that I haven't had the opportunity to test this myself but it does make sense.
    So, here goes. I met a guy about 10 years ago and he was well known for finding rings and I asked him if he would give me a few hints. He told me he had been beach (small lakes in the area) hunting for years without much luck and then started to research water temperature drops in the water. He determined that the water temperature drops enough in four feet of water to make your finger shrink and that was enough to make rings fall off while swimming. He went to a lake that had just had the water level dropped for repair work and even though he was on dry ground, it was where the normal lake level was at four feet and he hit the motherload finding in excess of 2200 rings in a months time. I have been wanting to try this for years but my coil is not waterproof haven't had an opportunity to find a lake that has been drained.
    Anyone out there had any sucess in four feet of water???

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i can't wait til spring ta get my detector outa the closet, this spring should be fun cause i got my 7 yr. old daughter a garrett ace 150 so now she can use her own insted of wantin to use mine, i have a garrett gta1000 and have had mine for atleast 15 yrs.