Destructive Beaver

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Nobody Special, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I went down to the river to bait up my trotlines this evening and one of them was gone. A beaver had chewed off the tree limb it was tied to. I used a grapple hook and managed to drag it up and salvaged about 2/3 of it though.

2. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Sounds like the beaver was trying his luck at catfishing huh?

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you get one hooked up and get it in the boat----------- the fight will be on brother.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Stinkin beavers lol,never ate them but may be worth a try.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Oh Yea, catfishing hat trmmed in beaver. I bet the liver would make good channel bait.

6. Reminds me of one evening me and some buddies were set up near a local launch. A @ssfisherman came down and launched his boat. He headed up river and was gone for about an hour. When he came in one of my buddies asked how he had done. Well this fellow was PISSED. He said he was doing just fine until some kids started tossing rocks off of a bluff above him. He claimed that he was lucky not to have been hit but they were hitting all around him.
    I asked where this happened and nearly laughed in his face when he told me. That bluff is nearly inaccesable and the bend below is full of beavers. He had gotten run off by a bunch of beavers slapping the water with their tails.

7. westkybanded

westkybanded New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We used to run trotlines in the Green River when I was a kid. I remember VIVIDLY one night we set the line paralell with the bank instead of stretching it across the channel. We ended up catching four beavers. Completely destroyed that line.

8. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    If someone put hooks in my yard, I would probably get rid of 'em to, lol. :wink:

9. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    nothin' a 22 wont fix!!!

10. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    You might ask 23 smity as I am no traper but at the right time you can get 30-35$ out of a beaver. I ask a traper to help you out he might apreciate the info.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

11. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good story Warrior, I've had some beavers slap near the boat on all nighters. When you're half awake and the rods start to look like they're bending when they're not and one of those goes off it'll startle the mess out of you.

12. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think you're in the same region (#11) as I am in Indiana, so depending on size & primeness of the fur (and I'm talking in season) the $30-35 might be just alittle high.

Id bet if you found the Tennessee State Trapping Association, you could find a local trapper who'd be more than glad to help you out & get rid of some of them for you.

Matter of fact, here's a link:
    http://www.tennesseefreetrappers.com/

Here's a couple that won't be migrating your way :big_smile:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/Trapping%20Pics/1-28-06beaver2.jpg

There's little you can do, short of trapping/shooting them to get rid of them. If you haven't noticed them before now, and they just moved into the area.....you're probably just seeing the beginning of the damage they'll do.

Smitty

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If it's legal i'd look into trapping that not so friendly woodland creature.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Will.What were you using for bait? Grumpy what would you do if someone tied a trot line to your dinner? Gators will get rid of the beavers,but they are a worse pain on trot and limb lines.peewee-williams

15. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with that. Works the same way with destructive (on land) coons too.