Design for new deck on jon boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by jbr18, Nov 3, 2006.

1. jbr18

jbr18 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hey, do any of you have a design or website that will explain how to make a good deck out of plywood or some type of metal for a jon boat? Im trying to make the boat a little bit nicer while the cold weather is coming. Thanks

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I would use alum. checker plating and have it welded in. It will reduce the flexing of the boat and it will last forever.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with Savage, I had a wood deck on a duck boat for years on an old boat I had, and had to replace it every few years due to the weather it was in.

4. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    who wants a jon boat that weighs 500 pounds ? use saltreated and it will last 15 years and weigh 1/2 as much

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Andre! I use 3/4" plywood and screwed into the braces that line the boat with self tapping metal screws. Use stainless steel and they won't rust. It helps to pre drill holes. You can then prime and paint it with exterior paint or seal it with a marine varnish. I also glued down out door carpet on them for a while but that was hard to keep clean. Just don't let things lay on it that will hold moisture like leaves and old rags during long periods when not in use.