Des Moines River

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Ahquabi_Master, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Anyone been fishing the Des Moines River in downtown Des Moines? Ill be returning to Iowa on August 15th and will be fishing for flatties at the dam off of Grand Ave. Let me know if anyone wants to join.

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I would love to brother... when we going? It might be a little bit of a trek considering I am in freaking chicago where people don't fish... but... but... I am going to try and find a way back to Iowa sometime soon

3. Ahquabi_Master

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Yeah you're gonna have to make it back bro lol - either that or we can plan to fish your dodge spot. It's good to hear from you.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Has it been good this last week? Last weekend I got one channel 7# in an evening. The week before three pretty decent ones. I think most of them liked the shad. Every bite was after dark till about 11.

5. Ahquabi_Master

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I don't know if its been good yet...i'll find out in a couple of weeks! Where are you fishing?

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    North of highway 30. The river is pretty sad/low right now. My spots might be pretty bad for such low water. I really don't know. This last weekend I went out and got blanked. I went to one odd spot then went to saylorville and it is horrible. The rock channel comeing out of it is 2' of water or less and the shad are in there thick like rats in a grain bin. They make quite a ruckus and people keep fishin because of it but your chance of a fish taking your bait rather than a random shad is on the scale of winning the lottery. Not to mention you would have to find the one big fish sittin in one 50x50 hole that hasn't been caught all year and that ain't likely.

I might try to find some riffles. That is a good idea. Josh out.