Des Moines river

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by rocco641, Aug 20, 2009.

1. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    dont the Des Moines river flow into the Mississippi?

2. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yes it does down towards keokuk if I remember correctly, and actually there aren't any blues in the des moines until you get close to the mississippi, I've seen a thousand times to where people claim they caught a blue and when they show it to me it's just a blue male channel cat. the des moines isn't deep enough to hold blues in the winter they like at least 30 foot of water. I had a thread on this already in the local talk section here about just this subject with two links to the dnr and iowa game and fish you should check them out! the only place that has blue in iowa is the missouri and the mississippi NONE of iowa's interior river's hold blue catfish!

3. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I myself have never caught any.I dont think there are any dams between ottumwa and keokuk, so wouldnt there be a chance of a loner or 2 coming up as far as Ottumwa? I have fished with ALOT of old time river rats, most have either past away or in there 80's now. They have always made the claim that there have been big blues pulled out of the ottumwa area?Although I have never got one I do have lots of faith in these old timers:big_smile:

4. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    if there's no dams between there there's a good possibility of them being there I'll agree but any farther than that not likely. I wish they would try stocking them again I would love to be able to hook into some blues

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  5. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

and where is this and what river? do you have any photos?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  6. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I also believe during the last 2 big floods we had, there could have been some go through the ottumwa dam,because when the gates are open its a straight shot.I know slight chance:confused2: but to say they cant get through is a false statement imo.

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yeah those floods were great fishing last year!! but I'd think it would wash fish up rather than down because of the heavy current

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

lol I'm still learning

9. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had this talk with both my Dad and Grandpa, and they both say that bluecat were caught in Iowa back in the early '70's. Were things different then...don't know, but sure wish that they had pictures to prove it. Since they like deep, fast moving current I wouldn't think they would come into the Des Moines and stay very long. They might very well come in by the Mississippi at night to feed, they say fish roam up to three miles a night feeding. Just my thoughts.

10. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

true they had first introduced them in red rock in 1972 but through dnr's recording methods one hasn't been collected in iowa interior streams since the late early 90's if anybody would find a blue it would be the dnr that's why I stay pretty skeptical when somebody says they caught a blue. I even had guys walk up to me and try to convince me it was when clearly it was a male channel. you should check my thread out title is "OK THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS" in the local iowa talk

11. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    This is entertaining... I am in the belief that there are no blue cats here in Des Moines, I follow the logic of Preston on this one... been fishing this stretch of water 20 years now and grandpa and his dad many years before that... never a blue.

Most of what people are calling blues seem to come early spring... right before SPAWN!

I have damn near gotten killed over this arguement more then once on the bridges of Des Moines...

12. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I think that the only blues you are going to find in Iowa are on the Des Moines river below the Ottumwa dam and Skunk river below the Oakland Mills dam. Both rivers feed into the mississippi so it's possible for a blue to swim upstream to the dam. That being said in all my years of fishing I can not honestly say that I have seen a bluecat come out of the skunk or des moines rivers.

You might also find the blues in Des Moines.....after a night of hard drinking with the Bridge Brothers.

13. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have fished no higher then the ottumwa dam. Like I said never caught one, but truly believe although pretty rare they could be had as far as the ottumwa area.

:smile2: I dont think im ranked high enough on the BOC to move up river any further:smile2:dont think Im quit in the bridge brother league yet:smile2:

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    above ther damb in keokuk there arnt many blues ....keokuk is a cut off fe em

15. aruanaman

aruanaman New Member

State:
    Fort Madison Iowa
    a little history. I grew up in nauvoo ill on the mississippi running trot lines, and would occasionally catch a blue as a kid on crawdads or even leeches. Now, 25 years later, I'm living in Fort Madison (north of Nauvoo and Keokuk,) and I see one every now and then. (and not just a funny colored channel ) I've also personally seen them at Oakland mills up by Mt.Pleaseant several times (on the skunk river), and my dad used to get a few on the iowa river years ago. There's a lot of guys around here that run bank poles on the lower des moines river south of Keokuk that catch and unfortunately keep alot of big blues as well. There are some out there, but most people around here are stink bait fishing for cats, and I don't think your going to see as many blues doing that anyways.

I agree with Kenny, that there are alot more blues below the dam at Keokuk, but once again, they fish for cats a little different there than up above as well. Cut bait/and whole shad-at least before this year when people could find shad....