Des Moines River in Iowa

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by IAcrankbait, Jun 3, 2009.

1. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to the site and really happy to have found it!! I usually hang around the Center Street dam in Des Moines so I'll have to look for the Brotherhood more closely when I'm out down town. Anyone gonna be out this weekend?
    I'm also looking for some advice/help on the Des Moines river south of Lehigh, IA. I've never fished it but looking to do a float trip up there in a couple weeks to get on some new water. I'm kinda wondering what my Flathead chances are around there. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Welcome to the BOC Patrick!

us Bridge Bros fish around the center street area quite a bit also. Im not familiar with the waters you will be floating down to but the flatheading around center street is out of this world at times.

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Patrick,
    Any guys you see with a bridge brothers tag below their posts fishes the area you fish in des moines, as for the area in Lehig Iowa, i'm not so sure. If you're fishing this weekend in downtown you'll see some of the guys, possibly on Scott. Welcome to the BOC.

4. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I didn't get a reservation for scott street this weekend..... That's how it feel's when you drive by full as crap ....... I got suckered into taking a road trip this weekend so im not fishing......

5. kdanderson5

kdanderson5 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We fish the Des Moines river south of Lehigh down to the mouth of the Boone river a lot. That is our main chunk of river to fish actually!

There is a lot of great spots along there. I have not had much luck with flatheads, but we do a lot of our fishing during the daytime hours so that is probably why.

I know a kid that just caught a 60 lb flathead on a diddy pole just south of the mouth of the boone river though, so they are there! If you would like we could probably meet up with you and do some fishing if you want to.

6. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went to a cubs game a few weeks back and drove across this bridge. I couldn't believe the amount of people on that! Wow.

7. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I stuck one smaller flathead around 10 PM Saturday night. I'm guessing around 15 lbs. He hit/crushed a live bullhead.
    Sorry the picture is terrible guys, camera picked a fine timeto junk out on me.
    Released to be caught again
    [​IMG]

KD, I'm sorry I missed your post. That is a nice stretch to fish and I hope to do it again sometime, maybe hook up with you then.

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    welcome to the boc and hopefully we bump into you sometime.

9. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
  10. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    hollllllllllly cow that was a MONSTER smallie you had in those pictures! And a trophy walleye also! Nice pictures in there.

11. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Calvin, I'm afraid I'm guilty of holding him to close to the camera though. He had some nice color and I wanted to get it in the picture but he did not break the 19" mark.....He was a BLAST though!!

12. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am wondering something about Des Moines river fishin. What are the best places to fish for flats? I live in Grinnell, about 50 miles or so away and I can't just get up there whenever I want to. I am trying to talk my wife into driving up there so I can give it a shot, I am epileptic so she would have to take me up, so it would have to be during the day.

I don't know if would even happen, but I've heard so much about fishin the big D (yes, I've heard it called that) for so many years I've decided I would like to give it a shot someday.

13. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I tried Center St. dam tonight and got zipped. I had better luck at the Water Works pits while I was catching bait. I got a 5 lb. Channel cat while I was trying for some bullheads and 'gills. There was a lady fishing with her grandson who had caught a few nice smoothies so I asked if she wanted to trade. She looked at me like I was an idiot:crazy: and then sent her grandson over with the smoothies...........mission accomplished!!! I got to the dam around 8:30, tried both sides and fished til 1:00am. Saw one small Channel cat come in but nothing was interested in my offerings. Still alot of trash floating through but a nice cool night to be on the water though.

14. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    right now the bite is real slow!!!!! I've personally never caught a single fish on center street but I know that they're there and have seen them come out of there. I think the flatties are starting to spawn right now. if you come down during the day time to fish you're best as much as i hate to say this would probably be scott st. bridge if you're just looking to catch some fish. I've seen a 41 pounder pulled out in midday this last wednesday. other than that it's pretty much hit or miss right now.

15. sms7599

sms7599 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm new to the Des Moines area. Been here since Sept. of 08. Just got my boat here and wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to put the boat in and try out. Don't know anyone here that likes to fish the way that I do. Never caught a cat larger than about 12 pounds and really looking to change that. Any suggestions would be really helpfull.

16. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC SMS7759!! I'm new here myself and have picked up alot of info.
    I do have a list of access points on the DM River. I use this site when I'm planning my float trips but I do most of my floating alot further upstream.
    First link has a list of all accesses and distances to the next one.
    http://www.desmoinesriver.org/

2nd link has basic addresses
    http://www.desmoinesriver.org/GPS_Coordinates.html

Its actually all on the same site along with some descriptions. Some of them are walk-in or canoe accesses but I think most of the ones around town here are hard surface ramps.

I haven't floated much around Des Moines myself but try using Google Earth or any other satellite map site and it might help you find some good bends to try.

17. sms7599

sms7599 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    what kind of a boat are you using to float the river. Are you doing any fishing north of Saylorville at all

18. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A 12' V-bottom with a 7 horse. Can't go very fast but it floats.
    I did one trip this summer and floated up around Lehigh, where the Boone River dumps in. Usually I'm even farther up on the West Fork of the river near Humboldt. I'm from that area and I still keep my boat at the folks place. I'm mostly a shore guy around DesMoines.
    Other than looking at maps, I don't know anything about the stretch from Boone to Saylorville Lake.

19. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

welcome to the boc and iowa bro. I bank and bridge fish so really can't help you with a place to put your boat it but if it were me I would put it anywhere there's water :smile2:

20. sms7599

sms7599 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When your bridge fishing. How do you get those fish up. I've never fished off bridges like that before. I think it would be pretty interesting to try out...