Des Moines River around Des Moines Iowa

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Rootwad, May 8, 2006.

1. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Been catching some channels from the bank but have not hooked any flat heads. Has anyone been catching flatheads in the Des Moines or Raccoon River?? I think the water might be still to cool.

2. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fished the Des Moines at Keosauqua this weekend. Only fished bank lines cause my Uncle hasn't been heving much luck rod and reel. We pulled one 4# flathead out saturday morning, then on sunday had two dink channel cats, and a 18# flathead. All cought on live sunfish. The weekend before I didn't fish cause of work, but my Brother and dad did, they say they lost a 20# blue cat of a bank line that weekend, but you know how fish stories go :roll_eyes:

3. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Thanks for the river report 19farmboy78. Sounds like it might be time to use the rod and reel. An 18# flat would be fun to crank in.

4. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah Rootwad, a 18# flat on rod and reel would be a blast. I’m hoping to get more rod and reel fishing in this year for flats. if I hear of any more reports from my buddies I’ll be sure to pass them on.

5. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Thank You. Just got off the river below Saylorville dam. Did not have any luck tonight. I think things will pick up in a few weeks as the water gets warmer.

6. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Forgot to telll ya Rootwad, the water temp at Keo is around 59 deg. Lil bro thought it felt a lot colder when he had his arms in it diggin that flat outta some roots sunday lol.

7. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rootwad,
    Got word today from Keota... A guy fishing on the Skunk (not sure if it was north, south or after they merge) over the weekend got a 15# flat on Friday night and a 50# flat on Saturday night... Both on bank poles and live sunfish. Great to hear the big ones are moving... SUCKS that my boat is clear down at Keosauqua!!! That's it... I just gotta get a second boat... one for home and one for the cabin!!

I've awlays got bigger flat on the Skunk, but haven't fished it for a few years, since dad got his Cabin on the Des Moines. It's a twisty muddy river full of wholes with tiber in tehm... Flats just love that stuff.

Man am I itching form some fishing!!

Later,
    Nathan

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Root, I have been down there and it doesn't seem to be a hotspot for flats by any means. There is a dam a few miles downstream. It gets a ton of fishing pressure. Most things that get caught down there seem to fall into a bucket of some sort. One night I saw a kid catch two baby ones maybe 2# and due to my "he could be 40# some day" comment they got let go, I think. But the kid was calling them bullheads the whole time and well, it just got me to thinking. In this area there are a lot more bank poles than R&R anglers for them.

9. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The cold weather put a real downer on this weekend. The water temp dropped to 51 deg and the flathead bite was gone. The only fish we got on bank poles this weekend was a 10# Bluecat, biggest blue we have ever caught. So the weekend wasn't a total bust! The bluecat was caught on the same bank pole as the 18# flathead last weekend. I’m hoping the weather warms up so we can get some road and reel fishing in this weekend!
    Nathan

10. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Thanks for the report. I was back home this weekend. Daughter had a softball tournment and with mothers day didn't get any fishing done. I'm back up here in Des Moines today. Started to rain after work so I stayed at the motel. Might try it tommorrow if the weather permits.

11. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There are blue cats in the Des Moines?

12. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    you may find some blues in the extreme southern reaches of the Des Moines also the Missouri river in Western Iowa.

13. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah there are Blue’s in the Des Moines river. We have been catching a few each spring for the last five years or so, down around Keosauqua. We’ve never caught to many of them, one or two a year... until the last few years. We’ve been getting a few more each year, and bigger ones to. Last year an old boy down at the cabins caught a 20# blue on bank lines. Now I’m not saying there is an abundance of them, or even a population worth targeting , but they are there.
    Also one thing I should point out is each year I have been targeting catfish earlier and earlier. I was always one to wait for warm weather to fish for cats, until I pulled some 10# channel cat’s thought the ice one year. Plus for the last few years catfish have been my main target fishing here at home. So I don't know if the population is building up, or I’m getting smatter..... nawww, we gotta be getting more fish in the rivers;)
    Nathan

14. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
  15. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have a large group of friends here around Fort Dodge on the Des Moines river, I am the only one with a flat head on record. We have been knocking the socks off of the little channel cats and have even hooked into a couple 5# Blues which is odd for us!!! Got the Flathead last Friday evening

16. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to BOC Christopher! Good to hear you have been into some catfish. Just FYI, there is an upcoming Central Iowa gathering 21-23 July 06 in Adel Iowa. More info on the BOC member gatherings portion of the site. Come on down if you get a chance.

17. tomturkey

tomturkey New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Been to the Middle Racoon seven times. Score Me 1 Smart Fish 6. They just don't seem to be biting. Using creek chubs, small bluegills even crawdads. I've caught fish in all of these locations in past years. Only thing biting are the softshell turtles. HELP Is anyone else around here having these troubles?

18. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i took a 15 to 18lbs at the river in adel the water is about 73 deg.

19. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Been fishing the Des Moines River around Fort Dodge and nothing is hitting but small channel.

Monday was out for my grandpa's 60th b-day... a few hits no takers
    Tuesday was a much warmer day... 4 small channel caught in the evening
    Wednesday... Enough said... weather sucked!!!

20. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice fish Mike. Get it warmed up for us, I'm gonna be after one of those 50# plus kittys next month @ the gathering. :lol: If they are agreeable, the weather and the fish that is.