Des Moines River - Another flathead catfish

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Finally got another Flathead last night before the rain came on the Des Moines river...Only makes 13 for the year but the majority of those came in late May! I motored down river and found a nice spot where another small river dumps into the Des Moines and set up camp on the bank and threw out into the slack water where the two rivers meet. Caught one flathead right away and 6 channel cat using live bullheads and chubs. The flathead probably was a little shy of 5 pounds but it is still fun hearing that clicker go off.
    River is still high and a little muddy.... I actually wish it would go up a few more feet, I prefer fishing flooded sandbars and shorelines out of the current. It has been really productive everytime this year.

Getting ready to head out tonight...but looks like the weather isn't going cooperate, we will see!

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Congrats on all the flatheads you've caught this year brother! I caught my first four ever and enjoyed every one of them. The weather is starting to cool so that might be it for me this year. Best of wishes to you!

3. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    where on the des moiens river do u fish i fish that same river

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Madcater,

Where I fish on the Des Moines river is really no big secret. There are 4 boat ramps within 15 miles of the stretch of river that I am usually on. I fish from Pleasant Hill to a few miles east of Hartford. There are 4 hard surfaced boat ramps within that stretch of river....however I tend to favor the Hartford area the most.

I have spent many hours in the Knoxville and Pella area as well. I will usually head over there about the last week of May and get it on that good flathead action below the dam. I caught 7 flatties there this spring in one weekend without fishing for more than 8 hours total. I haven't been there lately but I imagine I will be there soon. I fish year round and that is usually one place that has open water in the middle of winter....not to mention a good place to stock up on shad for channel cats.

I am out everyweekend no matter the water level....as long as I am not getting soaking wet. I actually like these flooded conditions, my buddy and I have put in a few times this year with hardly any boat ramp showing due to high water and have had some of the best fishing all year. We obviously don't fish the main river channel during these times! That would be impossible and just plain stupid but we have a few spots that seem to be very productive and calm during high waters.

I am hoping the river will calm down just a little for this weekend...its looking a little rough right now.

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Went back again Saturday night to the same spot as I was at the night before...Got number 14, it was a small one maybe 3 pounds but what was more interesting was how active the channel cats were. I was fishing with bullheads, chubs and sunfish hoping to really get into the flatheads and I just couldn't keep the channel cats off my line. I am not complaining, but for the short amount of time I was there my clickers were going off left and right and everytime it was a channel cat that took on a 6 inch bullhead or 4 inch sunfish. It was nice to see they were on the feed but it didn't last long...I had to get out of there because that nasty ol rain was getting ready to move in and I didnt really want to be stranded out in that with a 15 minute boat ride back to the ramp. I was only out there from 6 to 9 and had to sit through a few sprinkles and one quick shower before the majority of the rain rolled in but it was a good time...except for the fact that I hauled 2 boat loads of firewood down to my fishing spot and left it there now it has probably washed up on the dam of Red Rock! Oh well there is always next time.

6. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    mabey some time ill have to bring my boat uot there to hartford i ave fished thats spot too its good