des moines bridges

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by wiskeredwarrior101, May 8, 2008.

1. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey guys. I was wonder if someone could just some up the fishing at the des moines bridges (i.e what to look for, what bait to use (live or cut), etc.) I lived in Iowa till i was 12 (few months away from 18 now) and moved to Va but i come back every summer to my dads and we love to go catfishing and ive heard alot about the des moines id like to know a little bit about it so we might be able to give it a shot this summer. thanks~nick

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Pretty much anywhere in the downtown area you can use baits like chubs and sunfish. The biggest issue is having a method of retrieval - a way to land the fish because in some areas there are no banks, instead there are railings. But off of the west side just north of the grand bridge there is a stairwell that leads to the water. On the east side just south of the grand bridge there is another as well as the west side just south of the locust bridge. Those are just a few places in downtown. Theres even more places further down river that some folks might be able to tell you about.

3. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Do you all fish at night or during the evening or anytime during the day?

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I fish all times for channel cat, and start fishing for flathead one hour before sunset.. and for your first post, If you and your dad just want to go for channel cat I have better luck using the whole fish as apposed to cutbait, and there is not much to look for while trying to locate the fish besides the occasional logjam, but try targeting structure such as the concrete walls, bridge pillars, eddy's, river channels and you should have some good fishing!....hope this helps