Des Allemands

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by liquidblue, May 4, 2006.

1. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I heard this was an awesome catfishing lake. Anyone fish here?

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. I have not fished that lake but if you go there keep us posted

3. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Welcome to the BOC Jason. Please do keep us posted on your finds. :big_smile:

4. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I have seen in another thread that you just moved to Thibodaux. I am just down the road from you in Vacherie and live but 4 miles from Lake Des Allemands. You are right about the catfishing in this lake. It is fished heavily by commercial fisherman from Vacherie, Bayou Boeuf and Des Allemands ( the community) with everything from slat traps, hoop nets, trot lines and can lines. If you have anything specific you want to know just ask me here are PM me. I have just made 2 dozen noodle jugs and will start fishing in the evening for cats with them if I can ever get off of work for a couple of days. Also there are 4 boat launches that you can use to get to Lake Des Allemands. 3 are in Vacherie and 1 in Bayou Boeuf.

5. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    There is also a launch into Bayou Des Allemands right off Hwy 90 under the bridge that is a free launch. Bayou Des Allemands and Lake Des Allemands (Lac Des Allemands) is full of eating sized fish and there are also a good number of big fish if you know where to find them. The commercial fishermen pull huge amounts of fish from here and have been for many years. It's amazing that this place can sustain the fishery like it does, but it has been said that it's the commercial fishermen of the area that have allowed this to happen. It is believed that the cans used to catch catfish during the spawning season offer great protection for the eggs laid in them and since these cans are left there the hatches are great. The cans that are lost and never recovered provide a place for spawning for years to come. There are other reasons I'm sure but this is one reason we have such a great fishery. We have good trophy fish because commercial fishermen can not sell big fish very well, so most fish over 5 pounds are thrown back. This place is called the catfish capitol of the world. We even have a Catfish Festival here in July every year.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  6. cwell14

cwell14 New Member

State:
    LA
    Defintely a great catfish hole. I've made many trips and always had good luck with cats.

7. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was reading an article about Des Allemands and they were talking about finding a species of red worm that grows in the mud on the bottom of the lake. They said the worm was so prolific that it created a huge amount of food for fish, mostly bottom feeders like catfish. I am sure the many pots also helps. Food and shelter are always necessary to have a good fishery.

8. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    We fished there last year and caught around a hundred cats by lunch. They were all around 12 to 14 inches long and bit quick. I t was like saltwater fishing. Watch out for the bugs if its warm, they will wear you out.