dern varments

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by CountryHart, Aug 8, 2009.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I couldn't believe my eyes:crazy: Just checked on my garden and either coons, squirrles or ground hogs have all but robber my mater plants. I had some beautiful maters that only lacked a few days. Zilch, i mean wiped my tail out.:angry: Apparently they don't care for the little cherry tomatoes, they left me those. Come dark, they better put their kevlar on cause i'm fixin to go to dottin eyes tonite.

2. Mrs. Andy52

Mrs. Andy52 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Were you out fishin' when this occured? They even gonna make ya miss some fishin' while you're out to get 'em...lol. Mean ol' critters. Hope your fishing was good and will be, just to make up for your loss of maters. We haven't had problems with that this year, but squirrels are very prone to eating them.

3. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    tell me about it! I been having coons eat my maters:angry::angry::angry:and deer been taking out my beans:angry::angry::angry:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll share with bout anybody. All they had to do was knock and ask,"hey Fish, i need a few maters" i would have gotten them a sack, but noooooooo, the masked bandits strike like a thief in the nite.:angry: May spray the rest down with pepper spray, that'll give em a jolt.:wink:

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    C'mon John, them 'coons gotta eat too :smile2: Sorry to hear you got robbed - maybe you can get a second crop out of the plants.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Hey John sorry to here that those peskey masked bandets got you maters:angry:. Any critter that steals home grown maters derserves to get their eyes dotted:smile2:.

Tom

7. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    John, sorry to hear about your maters. I have a theory on this...in the heat of the summer when it's very dry and there hasn't been much rain the critters will raid the tomatoes because they are thirsty and the maters have a lot of water in them. Leave a bowl or tub of water out somewhere where they can drink and it might spare more "mater carnage".

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    just watered good, and at dark thirty dinner is served. hollow points on 1/2 shell.:embarassed: I got some beautiful plants and they'll keep bearin but these stinkin varmints ain't gettin the fall crop.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    they welcome to use the hose and get a drink. heck,,,play some and cool off as long as the water stays in the garden.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sorry to hear about your Mators

But thanks for the laugh, thinking of critters with their little bullet proof vests on made me laugh:smile2:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Counted 5 greys in 1 pine tree this mornin. Found a partially eaten mater this mornin and it's not coons, no teeth marks. Them stinkin greys want some tomatoes to go with them tough pine burs. Hate to shoot my yard squirrles but something has to give.

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    this is easy

shoot them with a paint ball gun turn them into bright orange or yellow or what ever color floats your boat .

that way the hawks can see them easier :wink:

ot if ya got a welder arc welder take a piece of small re bar about 2 foot long stab a mater and put the ground on 1 end the crimp on the other end with the mater in the middle and wait by the switch when 1 of them grab the mater turn on the welder at its highest heat !!!

then ya got a fried mater squirel sammich :big_smile::wink: mmmm mmm just add mayo !!!!

13. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    If ya like dogs get ya a jack russell.I've raised several and they are the grittiest dogs I've ever been around.Nothin in gets in our garden with out a couple of jacks tree'in it or pullin it apart.Plus they are great pets and awesome around kids.

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Troy (Spoonfish) has a jack/rat i believe she is. She don't know she's a little dawg.:eek:oooh: Pound for pound, they are tough little dawgs. I'll be eatin me a mess of greys in a day or so.

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I ain't got much use for a tomatoe until it's ketchup or pizza sauce, but I DO like fried squirrel. Maybe I'll plant some 'mater plants next year just for squirrel bait:smile2:

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Time to break out the night vison scope and .22 mag.:big_smile: