Depthfinders

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cathunter26, Oct 22, 2007.

1. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    Have a question for everyone. I hear all of you talk about finding fish on your depthfinder holding around cover. I was wondering how you determine if it is a catfish or not and does the cover show up around the fish on the finder. I have a fairly cheap depthfinder and I never know if I should fish based on what the depthfinder tells me. I guess i want to know if you guys use your depthfinders to find individual fish or just fish in general or just mainly for depth and structure. any info is much apreciated.

2. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Personally, I use mine for depth and structure. If the water is deep enough I will look for suspended fish. Never had any luck determining if I see a 2' log or stick or a fish. I am interested in trying it more now that others have said it works for them.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I use mine to determine depth and structure. If there is a submerged brush pile or an old tree stump, I can usually tell. I have caught many nice fish, both on bottom and suspended, that I never saw on my depthfinder.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    last monday We marked fish holding tight to a sharp drop off in the river. WE set up and immediatly missed one bite and then caught another one that tipped the scales at 27lbs

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    sounds like you are in the same boat as i was with the cheap finder i could see the trees an things onm the bottem but could not see the fish now that iv got my new oneit is a blast now i can see the fish an the trees an the humps on the bottem of the river it gives you a better under standing of what you need to be looking for while fish an were the fish are

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We look for the structure first but rarely set up unless we see fish while anchor fishing.

7. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a humminbird 777 c2 that I think that the settings are out of wack the way that I have them, Because bottom structure is hard to interpet.
    I am going back to the default settings this weekend and see how it is.
    does anyone else have this unit and if so what do you think of it ?
    I am thinking of moving it up to the front and getting the hummingbird 997 because I have heard good reports about them but I am thinking alot my problems are user error.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    My fish finder puts a "C" over the catfish, a "B" over the bass and a "W" over the walleyes. Doesn't yours?

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Lucus, no fish finder will tell you if it’s a catfish or not… Over time you learn to read or interpret your fish finder to where what your seeing you can make a good educated guess. Brad explained it very well here, he saw fish holding tight to a drop off, chances are it’s a catfish if it’s holding to that type of structure and most likely he saw several as they tend to hang together. After awhile you will know it’s catfish usually by numbers and location. This time of year, I look for fish first where in summer will fish structure.

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Marty,
    No wonder you can't catch any bigguns. You need to get that darn fishfinder out of Weekend Warrior mode and put it into River Rat mode.

Then instead of putting a c, b, w, over the arches it will put up BFB (Big freakin' Blue) over bluecats. BFF (big freakin' Flathead) over the flathead arches and a D (desperate?) over the channel cats. :wink:

11. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I use mine for both. But keep in mind water depth and cone angle. when You are in 10' of water Your "cone" is small and you will "see" a very small section of the bottom, and passing directly over a fish is less likely, hence you may mark fewer fish if any at all. But can still determine depth and structural elements.

when you are scanning deeper water Your cone is much larger and You "see" more of the bottom, and have a better chance of actualy marking fish.

A friend of mine has a 997 very impressive unit. I want one bad, but just dropped $2000 on My lowrance 111 last year.

more explanation of What I marked last monday.

This sharp drop is a very deep hole on the Kansas River. At the head or top of the hole it goes from a 15' upstream flat to a 30' hole very quickly. We were traveling upstream and when We got to the head of the hole and started to mark this ledge We marked one fish stacked on top of another all the way up the ledge. We continued upstream onto the flat dropped anchor, killed the motor, and drifted back into casting distance of the ledge. We placed baits on the 15' foot flat right above the hole, and others down the ledge. the first bite came on one on the ledge, that We missed. The fish We caught came up out of the hole onto the flat to take our bait.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Why bother to buy a unit that shows arches if your not going to learn to read it? Might as well just get a gauge that shows depth only. If you pay attention you will start to be able to read it as a book.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Keep in mind if you're using your depth finder on the Missouri River, that the river is so full of suspended trash, leaves, silt, dead prostitutes and other matter that it's difficult to get a good reading from your finder. Especially if it's a cheap, low-power model.

You'll find that you have to spend a lot of time fiddling with the sensitivity setting until you find what works best - and it seems to change from day to day. As a rough guide, adjust the sensitivity higher until the screen starts to fill with obvious noise, then back it off a few ticks. Fish arches should be obviously discernible from the other stuff you see, as long as your transducer is oriented properly.

Electronics is one area that you really do get what you pay for - cheap finders will give you poor results.

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Now now Marty thats a little low... To be calling someone a dead prostitute ... I prefer to call them a retired self employed person. Really though you if you have sonar you should adjust the settings and keep adjusting them. Every lake is different every stream is different. Every speed the boat is traveling at is different. Oh well.

15. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I have the humminbird 797. Heres a few pictures I got with it. Check it out at www.sideimaging.com

Attached Files:

16. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Come on Dan, if your gonna be showing detailed pictures like that you could at least show some with fish in them....:wink:

17. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just put an Eagle SeaCharter 480DF on my jon boat, I did quite a bit of research and IMO it had the most features for the least amount of money. GPS as well. Only drawback it is in black and white. As far as targeting fish it helpful but as others have stated don't pass on good spots just because they don't show fish on the finder.

18. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I restored the defaults on my depthfinder saturday and it is like a new unit. I had the settings way off.