Depthfinders/Gps

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Catlancer, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Catlancer

Catlancer New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm looking to upgrade my fishfinder. I looked at the Lowrance 525c and 522c. Both are in the basic price range I'd like to stay in. Anyone know the difference between the two or have any other input, good or bad?

2. teamhillbilly

teamhillbilly New Member

State:
    nc
    I dont know anything about those 2 but are you selling ur old one??

3. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Lance,
    I don't have any experience with the two models you listed, but I installed a LMS-337C-DF on my rig three years ago, and I love it. The only problem I have had with it was when I purchased a Navionics chip and tried to install it. I had to contact Lowrance to get an upgrade chip for my unit. It seems that in the course of one year, my system was outdated. Other than that wrinkle, I have nothing but good to say about Lowrance units.
    Bigwhiskers

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Im not 100% sure but I think the 525c has a little more resolution and aninternal GPS antena. Both are top notch units and will do you a great job. My father has the 525c and I love it and am jealous wish i had 1 just like it.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Catlancer, Billfish76 and myself have the Eagle version of the 525C. Lowrance makes the same units under the Eagle brand at about a 20% cheaper price.

Like RivercatSC said, one has an internal GPS antenna and the othe does not. I have heard that the external antenna is the best way to go and allows for better reception.

The resolution on the 522/525 is lower than the more expensive models, and the screen size is smaller. So far, neither of those things have stopped or hindered me from catching fish. More resolution is nice, but it does not make the fish bite. A larger screen is nice when using a split screen, but it is more convenience than a neccesity.

This link allows you to compare units at the Lowrance website: http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Pr...are1=lms525cdf&parentPage=Marine&numCompare=1

Like I tell all folks, spend as much as you can afford to spend. I think you need GPS to successfully troll for catfish, so count that feature in, the rest are perks.

6. Catlancer

Catlancer New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks! I have an eagle now and didn't know it was made by Lowrance. I've bee pleased with it, but it has a small screen and no color. I also heard the external antenna was better.