Depth

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slowboat, Jun 27, 2007.

1. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All the articles I read say that flatheads are in deep holes durning the day.
    How deep is considered to deep

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think it would be more accurate to say that they are in deep cover during the day. Anyway, depth is relative - it all depends on the river. In some rivers, 10 feet is deep, while in others 20 feet is nothing special. They will be in good cover in decent depth - if there's a real good logjam in 6 feet of water, that's just fine. Without good cover, they will tend to go deeper.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Heard that Flats come to the shallows at night.

4. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am at hoover res.and the depth goes to about 60 or 70 feet.
    how deep is to deep

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    The lakes I fish are about the same depth as where you fish. Most flats I catch in the day time are less than 30 ft. with the most in 5 to 15 ft.In the evenings I fish close to the drop offs in 3 to 8 ft

6. redhammer

redhammer New Member

State:
    az
    during the day in AZ you can catch them around the 20ft range....at night I've seen there backs out of the water.

7. gerbjello

gerbjello New Member

State:
    york, pa
    it also deprnds on current in slow water i have caught them in 30ft while in fast currents i have caught them in 6ft just depends on the water you fish

8. ike9389

ike9389 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    weather is hot in nc . i catch flatheads in shallow water within 10 ft of the banks at night and near a steep dropoff of 10 ft or more. i fish fast water near a deep hole in the day or log jams in 6 to 10 ft of water. seems to work most of the time. i use live or cut bream or shad.