Depth

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by wizkersNworms, Mar 26, 2007.

1. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught many cats in up to very shallow water during late spring, and throughout the summer. My question is, I have never had great success in early spring, or late fall/winter, and I"m wondering if any BOC members can help me understand the depths that cats prefer during certain time periods. Obviously, if the lake is very shallow, they don't have a lot of room to go, but in a very deep lake, how does the depth they are at correspond with the weather?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!~

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Here in Kansas we are catching channels in 2 to 3 foot of water now , the water temp is in the high 40s. They are feeding there on winter kill shad.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The channel cats are shallow to feed or to spawn. You can catch them shallow about anytime of the year that baitfish are moving shallow. In the waters I fish the temps are 65-75 right now and the bream have moved from their deeper waters to shallows, and the catfish are in there feeding in the evenings.

It is not uncommon to catch them in 1-3 feet of water right now at night. It makes for an exciting hook-up whne they come out of the water!! I see people bank fishing and they cast out as far as they can and I always wonder why they are not casting shallow up and down the bank.

You will also find cats shallow for the spawn, but usually the bite is a lot slower.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Right now the catfish are moving to shallow water to feed.