Depth - what do the catfish stay at?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cumberlandcat, Apr 27, 2006.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I am going to fish a part of the river for blues and channels, where the depth ranges 4 to 90 foot everywhere and quite quickly, what depth would you try to find holes at in this situation? Or are they going to be everywhere.? I don't know if trying a lot of holes at 50or 60 feet is worth it or if I should consentrate at 20 and 30 foot range. This is a new part of the river to me so I am clueless. I am used to fishin 20 foot max depth.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Think of a catfish being somewhat like yourself... on a hot day, you want to set in the air conditioning... cold days in front of the heater. You have a comfort zone. So do the catfish... so all you have to do is figure out how deep is their comfort zone. You'll find them stacked up at the same depth until something occurs to change the stratification of the water. To answer your question...about the only way I know is to spend a large chunk of money for one of the water temperature guages that measures temperature at varying depth. Lot of expense though.... Good luck

3. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    If you have a fish finder, make passes across areas that you'd like to fish. If you know where holes are, make passes from the shallowest places around the rim or ledge across the deepest areas. Your finder should show the fish if they are there. Anchor upstream and try to place the bait slightly upstream from the fish or right in their faces.

If you don't have a fish finder, try fishing the upstream edges of holes. I'm not sure how you would know that the water was 90 feet deep without a finder...but anyhoo. Place one bait at the start of the dropoff, one a bit farther out and one in the center of the hole if you can reach it.

You can look for eddys or cuts in the bank and fish where the main current and back-current meet. It probably doesn't matter what the water depth is unless it's very shallow.

Good luck!

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    In a situation like that I think I would focus on where the holes come up and on top where it is 4ft. If the 4ft areas are flats bigger than 20ft long or so then I would fish those at night. I would seriously consider drift fishing these areas to locate the fish. I have a feeling they won't be down in the 90ft area's but instead, on the slopes going down into them. Drift fishing is a great way to locate where the fish are.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Chris, I don't have much experience fishing the deep parts of the Tennessee River, but my dad and I did go jugging down through the Grand Canyon of the Tennessee just below Chattanooga. Most of that section runs 60'-80' deep. I started out with my juglines set just like I fish them on the Arkansas River; a hook 6' below the surface, another 9' below the surface, and another 12' below the surface. We had very poor results. I went back to my van and added 30'-40' of line to each jug, and we began catching fish, sometimes 2 at a time, which really excited my dad. This was in early July, and we were baiting with cut shad.

6. kill3r843

kill3r843 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    iv get them at the bank and in very deep water