Depth/size of Crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by turkey buzzard, Aug 5, 2008.

1. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    I recently went to my Crappie Hole and fished at night when I got tired at 3:00 a.m. I crawled up in the boat and went to sleep. What really upst me was when I woke up I had 20 or more dead Crappie floating around me!!!! In Texas most lakes have rules that Crappie under 10 inches have to be thrown back. When you bring them up from 30 plus feet they just cannot right themselves to live. Yes, I know about the air bag etc. that has to be popped so the fish can live to swim another day. It just seems a waist, no one truely carries a needle etc. to pop the air bag and it's time consuming. I did catch 17 keepers to 14 inches.

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Bringing them up slow can really help this. It gives their swim bladder enough time to adjust to the changing water pressure. Instead of just cranking them in, try bringing them in a little slower and playing them. Switch to ultralite tackle with 2-4 pound test and it can make this alot more fun and usually help keep the fish healthy when caught and released

3. kayakcattin

kayakcattin New Member

State:
    texas
    oh man im sorry that stinks. anyways sounds like you had a good night of fishing.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i think skimax's suggestion should work fine.specially the ultra light setup.i have caught some nice 15-16 inchers on ultra light,and it sure is fun.plus,it will make you take a little more time to bring them up from the depths.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    bringing them up slower should fix the problem. right now we are catching them at 25 feet.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I scuba dive and we are told to stay under our (med) bubbles when coming up and Never Ever hold our breath while coming up. Holding your breath will cause the air in your lungs to expand and bust your lungs. So bringing up a fish slowly will surly help.
    Bill

7. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Nice flathead you got there.

8. ROSSOYOUNG

ROSSOYOUNG New Member

State:
    OK
    Quite the catch/ that is surely a shame about the fish

9. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Use ultra light gear , that is the only way to go. Got to play with them and enjoy it

10. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Max is dead on on this one. take it slow and you will see more fish live

11. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I went out on Friday and limited on crappie (37), just casting my lil fishie on my ul rod with 6 lb test. Had a blast, and caught a new PB crappie, 1lb 15oz.... couldn't have been a 2lber !

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sounds like a great day of fishing. 1lb 15oz crappie is 2lbs in my book, at least thats what I would tell everyone:smile2:

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Here is what will work on releasing crappie caught out of deep water.

If you have noticed they will have their jaws locked open when you bring them out of 30-40' of water.

Instead of just pitching them overboard which means they will float and be gull bait all you need to do is close there mouth and release them over the side of the boat.

Poking their bladder will work but most people dont know how to do that and by shutting their mouth works as good.

14. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Bring them up slowww. Poking their air bladder will work but they will never be able to "suspend" again. Same as perch deep off the ice or salt water fishing for grouper and snapper. The guides will pierce their air bladder but they loose their ability to suspend. Maybe the air bladder will heal and seal up but I haven't found any research on that possibility. Move if you are on dinks in deep water has always been my motto.