Depth or structure for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ChrisS, Jun 3, 2006.

1. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know cats like structure, but how about shallow structure during the day. Usually bank fishing, Usually bank fishing, I have to be able to directly see the structure, and this usually may come from more shallow water (6-8 feet mostly). Most say that during the day, cats will sit in deeper, shaded water. The confussion for me comes when I see shallow structure, without much shade and perhaps in more shallow water. Should I give this attention or continue to focus more on deeper waters. Hope this makes sense! Any input will be helpful!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will take shallow water structure anytime over just palin depth for both flatheads and channel cat.

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    shallow structure can be very productive....the river hear in danville va is basically all shallow structure with a few holes between them

4. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate you takin the time to help me out. Good fishin to the both of you

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Remember, depth is relative. What is considered deep depends on the average depth of the river. Structure itself produces shade. The fish will relate to the structure as the sun angle changes. Don't pass up these spots. Fish can and will hold on this structure from time to time. Especially if the depth up and down stream is less than 6 or 8 feet with little or no cover.

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    If the fish is hungery, he will be looking for the easiest, fastest, safest, place to find a meal. Structure will dictate the safest place for bait fish to hide in. Water supply, tributaries into the river provide another source for an unsuspecting snack to drop by. If he's just waiting to enjoy a banquet you'll find him under a brush pile, beside/under a tree, a big rock, where the natural current will bring it to him, or close enough he doesn't exert himself too much. Look at your fish, they offer valuable source of information of what he's been doing. Are there leaches on his tail? How about on his fins? Is his tail/belly scratched up? All these and more will help you figure out where/what is going on.
    Good Luck!
    Don

7. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a good point Arkie, I have really never thought of it that way. It seems the cats are definitely alot smarter than I am! Thanks brother.

8. Chance

Chance New Member

State:
    United states
    Chris when the sun is high in the sky I ply structure in shaded areas ,but when its cloudy I find them in middle of canals granted there is current flow . As far as for depth alone I havent had any luck but add an old river channel or sand bar and its on .But like i said early morning shallow structure mid day high sun shady areas structure .Cloudy day depth and structure also try distributaries and tributaries on cloudy days and early morning

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Structure serves a couple of purposes with any fish. Protection from current is one reason, hiding from prey is one, and a hiding place for attacks on bait fish is another.

Your particular water, and how and when you are fishing, will dictate how you can use these reasons for stucture to your advantage.

Structure can be great if fish are utulizing it to pursue bait fish, but if baitfish are not present, or they are feeding on mussels you may be out of luck. The bottom like is that you should try it, but don't feel like it is the only place fish will be.