depth for carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by cathunter600, Sep 14, 2008.

1. cathunter600

cathunter600 New Member

State:
    alabama
    What depth do carp usually feed at. On the surface,in the middle or on the bottom. And where would a great place to place bait.

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would say both bottom and top. Bottom for the most part but very possible to catch on the surface. If you can keep the bait two or three inches off the bottom even better. A lot of time when you hear fish trashing around on the surface good chances it is a carp.

3. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    Well grass carp seem to feed more on the top and seem to feed off of moss and stuff like that.They are typically much more difficult to catch than common or mirror carp.

Common carp and mirror carp (more or less the same species) are usually eating off the bottom.The best way if you really want to catch them is to chum the area with canned sweet corn and then cast out on a size 4-14 hook (whichever you prefer) with 2-3 kernels on it.

If you REALLY want to catch them for some reason chum the same area 3-4 days at the same time in the same spot and then do like I said above.

From my experience with carp they seem to be anywhere and everywhere if you chum the water at any particular spot.Whether it be deep or shallow I've never had a problem attracting them.Though as general advice I've never really tried in deeper than 10ft water.

There are a lot more complicated ways and rigs to use.None of which I've ever tried because around here a hook and corn works just fine.That and I'm more of a bass fisherman.I've heard good things about "boilies" if this doesn't work for you though.

4. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I've caught most of my river carp on the edge, 1.5 - 4 feet of water.

5. channelbully

channelbully New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Where I live in Canada, we usually catch carp in either large ponds with depths less than 30ft. or in canals and channels where depths far exceed 30 feet.

I use a hair rig with 3-4 pieces of field corn that has been boiled and soaked in water over night with added flavours to attract them. Have you ever tried using vanilla or Star Anise extract? These flavours were amazing where i live. We have also had a lot of luck on orange flavoured corn.

If you would like anymore information about hair rigs and setups just let me know.

6. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Same here, I can mop them up with a castnet. Just this morning I caught 8 1#ers in a single throw. No shad to be had :(

7. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Welcome Joe,
    Glad you're helpful, you've found a great site to share your know how and to learn as well.

Rubes

8. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I love fishing for carp from time to time. Post your set up and share some more of that knowledge:smile2: