Depth/Fish finder---Necessity or option

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by catfishing is fun, May 5, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Cause there expencive, and I dont want my grandpa and me to buy one if there not really needed, let me know, also let me know some good low price models

Thanks ALOT
    Marshall

2. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I fished many years without one. I got a cheap one a few years back, I saw structure I didn't know was there and caught more fish. I upgraded last year to an LMS334Cigps. Changed my fishing world. Thay will help you catch fish, study up and buy the best you can afford. Learn to use it correctly, I have never regreted spending the money,.

Jim

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    The next best thing to catching fish is finding out what the bottom is like at your different fishing spots. Money well spent in my opinion.

4. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I like them for structure and water temp, also for depth. Garmin makes a nice one for under 200$, its the 160c. You can google it, they should have some at wal mart also. You can find them cheaper. Google garmin, also hummingbird makes some that wont drain your bank account. I wouldnt get one with all the gps and all that fancy stuff, like I said I just like them for temp, depth and structure. Most of the cheap ones will give you all that.

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Get the best you can afford and learn to use it, you will not be disappointed.

6. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I use mine for structure, depth, and water temp. I am not the most experienced useing one but it also helps to locate baitfish.

7. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I totally agree with everyone ... once you can see the bottom and structure and locate bait fish you will defenitely catch more fish

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Jim on this post. You want go back to guessing. Necessary if you are serious about catching fish.:lol: :big_smile:

9. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I dont think they are a necessity. I had one on my old boat, I used it frequently too. I dont have one on my new boat and have no desire to put one in it neither. I still catch fish even though I dont have a fish finder so why bother, right? Besides, the way gas is now I have to watch P's and Q's so I'm able to get to the lake period, lol.

10. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    well mine hasn't really helped me out very much on the small lakes around Virginia Beach but I am going to fish the James River next weekend and I hope it will help me there!

11. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Marshall
    After fishing with friends, I am of the belief that only about one in ten of the fishermen with a fish finder know what they are seeing, I being in the nine not knowing. However I now know that I don't know and am learning. Having said that, I am sure my just seeing the depth and bottom structure helped me last season to catch more fish. I started out with a cheaper finder, now have two on my boats and will learn more this season and maybe upgrade next season. Luck

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    pete Kildrow was good fishermen before he got that awesome Humminbird and after seeing that Humminbird and what it could do and hearing pete say it made his fishing alot better, I'd be stupidly undergunned to go up against him with nothing or little of nothing.
    Electronics make a difference and good electronics make a bigger difference.

13. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I agree fish finders are the way to go if you can afford them

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Immagine if you will?

You are in a dark room (pitch Black) and the room is about 100' x 100'. Now there is a key in the room somewhere and you have to find it so can get out (you are locked in). Now what would you give for a light???

A fish/depth finder is the light that makes things easier!!!

15. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the key is not to use it solely on the "fish" you see. i fish the mo. river and most of those "fish" are probly logs, and debris floating down river. I use mine to find structure, and also for depth it has paid for itself many times over by saving me from prop damage.

16. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Bought me a fish locator, nothing fancy but it should tell me depth, fish and structure now I dont know nothing about how to use a fish locator but the question i have is for the guys that use them do you use yours to fish by finding structure, or depth, or baitfish, or water temp alone or a combination of all these together, what are you looking for when your boating across the lake and you suddenly stop and fish a spot. Was it baitfish there or structure, or what I would like to know so I will have and Idea of what to look for. any answer is helpful. this site is great

17. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Optional for fishing
    Nesessity for catching (consistantly)

Cheez

18. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Even a boat is optional for catching fish. Although, I will never be without a depthfinder on my boat, if only for the use of telling me I'm about to hit bottom and destroy my hull or lower unit. Depthfinders can be helpfull for locating structure and fish also. Vern

19. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Crackers, you will want to look for both baitfish and structure, this is ideal. one or the other is good but you will up your odds of catching a fish with both.

20. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Depth alone is worth $$ . You'll know when your in 4' of water and bottom is climbing up quick on ya :confused2: .. Heck, just being able to see the contour and "lay of the land" underwater should increase your catch rates... Zeroing in on a hump/hole/flat/dropoff/whatever... Spotting suspended Shad not flipping the water top saves a whole bunch of time with chasing bait as well ....
    Overall, You can catch plenty of fish without one, but you can catch more, more often and actually be safer out on the water with one, IMHO....