Depth Finder Trouble

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Jammer, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have an Eagle, Fish I.D. 128. Depth and fish finder. It's a portable model that runs off batteries or I use it with my trolling moter battery. This year it's getting "Stuck". At first it wouldn't come on at all and when it did it stuck on 1.5 ft. It would work right for a little bit and stick again at 9.0 ft or whatever. I checked the plugs and wires, didn't see any problems. Any Help would be appreciated..

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    im not depth finder wiz but id say its time to toss that one or return it. Only problems ive had besides them completly going out is the transducer wires or the transducer going out which doesnt sound like whats going on with yours. If it was the transducer it would say 0.0ft or give you all kinds of off the wall depth.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    This is just a guess, But sounds like your batter power may not be enough. I do know at lower power. They will not work right.
    Also Check to make sure the transducer is clean. AS if it has dust or oil on it. It will take a while to clean off and work right. Best to take some dish washing soap, And clean it good. I even at times leave a film of the soap on mine. That way any dust or stuff will come off in the water.
    Good luck/
    Pete

4. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks James, but I'm not the toss and buy kind of guy. I fall into the spit and baling wire, make it work catagory.
    Shiloh Red- I checked the transponder and it is definitely dirty I'll try cleaning it up and try it again.. Thanks.

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man I'm definately not the "toss away" kind of guy either but I've gone through two of those exact fish finders myself. I'm not saying that yours is through, just don't rule it out. I hope you can get your's going again.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If its dirty that is the problem I bet. Even the ones on a boat will at times take a while to clean off. And that is sliding through the water.
    Pete

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Guys it all depends on how much trouble I can stand from one source. The first option would be to clean that puppy with some detergent and then some windex or alcohol base stuff. If that didn't get it I'm leaning towards that hammer remedy that's been mentioned. Ebay sells a lot of fish/depth finders at a reasonable price. What's the price of a constant pain?
    Don

9. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I cleaned everything up. Rechecked the electrical contacts. My wife and I went out on Clearfork Resevoir on Sunday evening. Now it seems to be working fine, so dirt must have been the trouble. Thanks to everyone for your help.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Dirt will do it every time. Just take a wet cloth and wipe it before the next trip. Or I have taken my hand ( With unit off ) and rubbed the transducer while in the water.
    Pete