Depth Finder / Transducer help requested

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by gebs, Apr 5, 2006.

1. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Last fall the power cable on my Eagle Strata 128 depth finder went out, so over the winter I bought a new cable and transducer. The old transducer was installed by a hack. The power cable worked great, but my original irritation still exists, and this is where I'm asking for help.

My depth finder only works when I'm at trolling speed or below. According to the manual, it should work when on plane. The transducer is parrallel to the hull and the bottom of the transducer is even with the bottom of the hull. How do I get the depth finder to read when I'm on plane?

I don't use it as a fish finder, only for depth as I want to know what's under me and my river is about as skinny as Karen Carpenter.

Does my transducer need to be below the hull? Does the fact that I'm running a jet have something to do with the problem? Help?

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yes it should be below the hull for high speed. when moving it can not hav any bubbles around it . try 1 inch

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    gebs04

Since your running an Eagle Depth finder then you will have a transducer that looks like a bullet, the top of the bullet needs to be even with the bottom of the boat, pictures are included in this thread to help you out, when you get on plane your transducer is coming out of the path of the water which causes you to lose the signal, the factory installed my unit on the back of my boat figured they were real good at it, but nope they were very poor as they mounted the unit up too high on the back so I had to remount it down lower so it would work as is indicated in the last picture...........Doc

Attached Files:

4. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys, I'll push it down tonight and try it again on Saturday.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I've done the same thing on my brand new boat. Mounted the transducer too high and it flakes out at high speeds. Some day I'll get the nads to re-drill some more holes and lower it. Thanks for the tip DOC.

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I just replaced my fish finder. I had installed the first one to high and had the same problem. I installed the new one correctly and the problem went away.

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    If you mount a nylon board on your transom and then mount your transducer, you want have to worry about drilling a bunch of holes in your transom if you need to reposition your transducer...

8. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'M SO HAPPY. SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It worked perfectly. I moved the transducer down to where Doctor showed in his pics and it worked perfect. 25MPH and perfect reception. I saw holes I never knew were there right in the middle of the river, some upwards of 8-9'. The average water depth was 2.5-4' as I pretty much knew already, but the holes surprised me.

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!!

I feel so much safer knowing what's under and behind me.

On a side note, my son and I each caught 1 fish today. We were out about 2 hours and tried 4 different spots. I caught a nice 3-4 lb. carp and my son caught a nice 2 lb. cat. She would've been perfect for the table if her egg sack wasn't half out.

If I didn't say it before, I'M SO HAPPY, SO AMAZINGLY HAPPY!!

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What kind of nylon board? Like a cutting board? How thick? How do you mount it to the transom? Epoxy or screws?

I like the idea, because I'm going to need to move my transducer on the new boat - it doesn't work at all when I'm up on plane. And I know there are 2 or 3 different places I will need to try until I find the sweet spot. So being able to move it without drilling more holes would be great.

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Mr.T,
    Cabelas sells a Nylon transducer mounting Board I do believe I got Mine for under $20. It attaches to the transom With screws and is about 3/4-1" thick. When I installed Mine I Ran a bead of silicone calk all the way around the outer edge to make sure it didn't leak water into the bilge. pretty slick idea I've already had to move My transducer over and down to get it to read right.

Also Make sure the transducer isn't mounted behind a Strake on the hull that will make it read all hay wire as well.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Picked up one of those transducer mounting boards at Cabelas today - about $12 or so and colored to pretty much match my boat. Going to try to get it installed this weekend. Thanks for the tip, Brad!