Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Depth finder mounting?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  JByrd 
#1 ·
I'm going to be mounting a depth finder to the front deck of my boat but cannot get to the bottom side of it to put nuts on the screw's. The deck is made of aluminium and it's not very thick so don't really trust just some sheet metal screw's to hold down a 6 inch depth finder due to the beating it takes going up lake. Anybody got suggestions on what I could use to mount it? Thanks

#4 ·
I ran into the same problem years ago. I decided to just go with the sheet metal screws and they held just fine. Using the screws with the double sided adhesive is a good idea though. Don't over tighten! BTW mine gets beat up really good too. I have broken or knocked loose about everything on the boat with current from the north and wind from the south creating about 1ft rollers.

#6 ·
The wellnuts look like a good option.

The only other thing I can think of which would require a little bigger hole would be a toggle bolt.

If you wanted something other than the unit being right on the boat surface because the toggle need a larger hole, buy a small white cutting board at Walmart and cut it to size. then do like they did with the 2 x 4 in the video.

This should be very secure but keep in mind that if you take the bolt out of the toggle, the butterfly piece will drop off of the under side.

tight lines

#7 · (Edited)
The Wellnuts would have some shock properties that toggle would not. Self-tapping sheet metal screws work good, coated well and are strong. Most have hex drive (like a nut or bolt head) is easier to drive and drill their own holes to exactly the correct size. I would use a small washer under the head to distribute the holding power over a larger area and keep the screw from scratching the finder base. Also some grease on the threads of the screw would prevent corrosion later on. Common at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I usually drill a small starter hole though. When I am running them down I smear some hand soap from a hard bar of soap (Dove, Ivory etc.) and it acts like a lubricant to make it tap and screw easier. Or tapping lubricant if you have it. Just takes a couple of drops. The soap really helps when when screwing into hardwood.

#8 ·
This is going to be more complicated and expensive that the other options suggested but it worked for me. I had a piece of 3/8" thick aluminum plate that I cut to size and drilled holes in to match the holes in the mounting bracket, I countersunk the holes on what was going to be the bottom side, ran screws from the bottom through the plate and mounting bracket and secured the bracket to the plate with castle nuts. I then riveted the plate to the front deck with aluminum rivets all around the edge about 1 inch apart. I don't know how many years that old Humming Bird, Silent 60 sat on the bow of that jon boat but it was very secure. Good Luck.

#9 · (Edited)
Correct, I used 3/4 inch exterior plywood to make a adaptor for my Tracker boat finder mount. It is like 4 inches square. I drilled all the holes, checked fit, sanded it smooth and painted it. Same for the transducer mount on the transom. I countersunk the bolt heads that go in the boat transom so the transducer mount could be put over them. With that if it needs raising or lowering you make another adaptor or drill & tap new holes in it, not drill more holes in the boat. The transducer adapter is made of plastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.