Depth Finder Help

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by rwilley3, Jan 27, 2007.

1. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Wondering if anyone could help me on deciding what type of depth finder I need to purchase. I am looking to upgrade and want a depth finder with GPS and recording capability. I think I understand the pixel deal(basically the more the better) but not sure about this peak power stuff and the ability to record data. I would like a depth finder that I could record data like the location and depth. What I would really like to do is say drive back and forth over a hole and have this thing record position and depth. Then I would like to be able to download this data and contour this hole out using some surveying or Autocad program at work. If I can find a unit that can record the points somehow in a x,y and z coordinate I should be able to get it downloaded and contoured. I have not got $2000 to drop on one but want to get a decent one at least. Can anyone help me out in some way. The areas I fish would have water 100' deep or less.
    Thanks
    Roger

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Most of the current and recent line of Lowrance units are capable of recording sonar data, and when the unit also has a GPS, you definitely do get x,y,z points.

If you don't need color, I'd consider a recent unit such as the LCX-17M - it's got more power than you'll ever need, an excellent display and now that it's not the "latest and greatest" you can pick it up considerably less than new.

If color is a concern, maybe the LCX-25C would be a good choice -- I know I'm very happy with mine and have used the recording feature a few times to map the bottom and it does a good job. Plus the power and high-resolution makes it much easier to distinguish fish from structure.

There are numerous programs around that can massage the data into 3-D contours and even download the contour data back to your sonar unit as a series of lines. Essentially, you can create your own high-definition custom maps of a portion of a lake and it really doesn't take that much effort or skill. Start with a good read of the articles written by "Doc" Samson over at www.hitechfishing.com -- in particular, http://www.hightechfishing.com/futuristicmaps.html