Dept of Wildlife meeting. - Part 1

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Jan 9, 2007.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just got back from the meeting in OKC to discuss proposed changes to the 2007 fishing and hunting regulations. I'll just do the high points.

1. Allow hunters to apply for controlled hunts via ODWC website applications. Sounded okay to me.

2. Allow walk in fishing on ODW lands at Lake Arcadia. allow controlled deer archer hunts through the City of Edmond, and to prohibit camping on the ODW lands. Sounded okay to me.

3.Delete the number of shad limit a person could have in his possession. and change the possession limit of the number of shad that can be transported in state from 150 to 200. Prohibit the sale, offer to sale, or transportation of shad out of the state. Good idea, also.

4. Add low point beer to list of items prohibited on department lands, except in camping or parking areas. This provision I personally am dead set against. The thought was it is easier to deny access to the alcohol than it is to apprehend/arrest those persons who drank to an excess. My take on this matter is I spent over 20 years of my life guaranteeing our citizens their right to personal freedoms. Now the want to ban the beer. Next year it probably will be to ban smoking on all ODWC lands as it is carcegenic to the game and wildlife. What a crop of bull.

5. To add new rules for those people who take care of the sick/injured wildlife which are not commerical enterprises. Think this is a good thing.

I am going to divide this post into parts to make sure I get it all posted. This is part 1.

2. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I would see nothing wrong with limiting camping to certain areas,by keeping all camping within a certain distance from a parking area.This keeps ill-responsable campers from trashing areas out in our woods,much easier for people like myself to pick up thier mess if I'm close to the vehicle.Plus It would be more safe for the campers,I wouldn't want some gun carring ya-hoo shooting through my camp,or to pitch a tent right where someone else intended to hunt.This is why I camp near to my vehicle in plain sight. I live about an hour from the public land I hunt,we also travel by boat to hunt-so camping saves time both traveling,and putting the boat in and out.Just as important is the money saved in cost of gas,if I had to drive to and from every day of a weekend,or stay in a hotel I couldn't afford to hunt more than one day.I see outlawing camping all together ,limiting us po'boys,and only helps the guys who can afford to spend cash on hotels.Many of the wealthy guys I know already lease land to hunt and aren't on public land.So I wonder whom does a camping ban help-Oklahoma's outdoorsmen,or the hotel industry.

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    The no camping rule is only for ODWC area at lake Arcadia.

4. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Thats a relief :big_smile: I was upsetting to think they would make such a change.Thank you for clarifying that proposal.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Will, I beleive that rule was for the new legacy area they purchased on the illonois river. There won't be any camping at any ODWC land which is not specifically set up for camping, but that rule is all ready in existance. I believe all in all they were pretty happy with the purchase of the land in eastern Oklahoma, and it ticked them off to find out not everyone thought that was such a splendid idea.

6. mack5522

mack5522 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I want to thank you for putting all this info here for us to read . I also agree with you hole heartedly what ever happened to being able to enjoy a cold beer and the great outdoors at the same time . I think if the dept would go back and look at thier stats. they would discover that the problems are being caused by pleasure boaters , skiers and idoits not fishermen ..
    on the camping thing I understand what is being said but we the outdoors men need to understand we are hurting our selves on this front when was the last time you went to the lake , river or pond and didnt see trash , bait contaners , fishing line and other trash . come on guys this is our passion our enjoyment why are we trashing it . I know I try to pick up others mess's when IM out in the great outdoors and I know alot of you do too but we have to stop this its getting out of hand .

7. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I feel its a direct reflection of your raising.We all not only need to be responsable,but teach our children to be responsable law abiding outdoorsmen.I think teaching clean-up goes hand in hand with learning to shoot,cast or clean your kill.If you don't pick up,eventually you'll be tripped up on all the trash.I sure don't want to trash my family name!

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think it is just plain disrespect for law. You see it on the highway with person exceeding the posted speed limits, you see it with the cigarette butts flying out windows during burn bans, you see it with the underage drinking, or the ones of legal age smoking their stuff. You see it with the people who violate creel limits or the hunter who don't care if that big rack came in season or out of season. You see it with the guys who slap women around, and the women who slap men around...but you know what? On the most part it is not done by members of the BOC.