Depressing that my catfishing is over for the year

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JJHACK, Oct 4, 2005.

1. JJHACK

JJHACK New Member

State:
    Wa. State and Elisrass RSA
    In Washington state there is no great catfishing. The state is split into halves with the cascade mountians going down the middle. The east side has pretty good catfish in a few lakes but the west side has just about nothing except some little bullheads.

It's a few hours drive to the eastern lakes and rivers for me to go for cats. I struggle this time of year with the cat fishing being slow to justify that long drive for low odds.

Is there a way to catch channels in a big river when the water is getting cold? They must still be eating! I have only caught catfish in the snake river. It's a huge fishery and certainly has lots of fish. The river is deeply cut through the mountains and canyons. from the shore it typically drops to 60-80 feet deep with little to no structure anyplace within the main body of the river.

I have only ever caught catfish in the shallow bays that are created by incoming streams and smaller rivers. I have been very lucky inside the manmade protected boat launchs and marina's at night too. The last two trips there I have only caught two fish in these protected areas so I think that the fish may have moved to a different seasonal location.

All I have is some DVD's on catfishing and this site to visit until spring now!

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Catfish is a year round fish as they do not stop eating. There have been many cases that they have been caught through the ice in frozen lakes in the north. They can be caught, but just needs to be found. In rivers that are 60-80 feet deep you will have to look in deep holes along the rivers and lakes. This normally requires the use of a boat and a fishfinder. This can be much harder from the shore

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was just thinking the same thing my friend. Couldnt go this past weekend because of car trouble. Usually at least the last few years this is about the time it really starts to slow down for fishing. (at least these parts) Two weekends ago at the local fishing hole where there is often a small crowd it was just me. Usually at least 2 or 3 of the regulars show up. As a passer by was asking isnt it too late in the season for fishing. I responded with a humble no. I did manage to catch 2 catfish so it was well worth the trip. I took off this Monday and planning a 3 day fish-a-thon. Possibly the last one for the year. :0a4: I can only hope the weather holds. The good thing its only a fifteen minute drive so its usually not a big deal if I dont catch anything. I usually give it about an hour to an hour half if i dont get any bites i pack up. (Btw this is not to say that fishing isnt possible its just harder.)

4. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    For many avide catfishermen/women the season never ends.
    It just slows down,anytime your water temp gets below 60 degrees it slows down.They tend to run in deeper water looking for the warmer water.And they tend to limit there movement.Which in turn means you have to find them an put the bait right in front of them.When you do find them useually they will be stacked in a area.
    Chuming a area sometimes will help your odds,but you want to check your laws on chuming.My favorite thing to use in cold weather as chum is a container of cloted blood.I use a 12oz gator ade bottle weighted on a line with a float on the end of the line so it can be picked up when I'm done fishing.You can use chopped bait fish also but when you make holes in the container make them small so as not to let the chum out.You want to scent the water not feed the fish.
    The areas your fishing sound good but without being there its hard to say if one is better than the other.You'll just have to try different areas untill you find them.
    Hope this helps
    Loop

5. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Sorry to hear about your season ending due to cold weather, ours will be ending soon too. :sad: That's okay though, we are going to be playing a lot of Texas Hold 'Em now that it's getting colder :cool: What are you guys going to do now? Take it easy!

Ryan

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I catfish all the way into December until the duck hunting gets good...and then resume catfishing, and also whitebass and wiper fishing in mid to late feburary when the shad start migrating back up the rivers.

7. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    "Is there a way to catch channels in a big river when the water is getting cold? "

Of course there is.On the deleware i find that the channels are fattened up nicely and stacked up atop each other in holes when the water temp drops.
    If you can get out on the river,find a hole with 1 channel,odds are there are many more in that same hole.
    If you can find 3 holes that produce for you,your set for the whole season.
    One other thing i have noticed also is,they well most are not as active as they are/were in the summer.Most of the channels i get over the winter seem to peck at the bait,whatever it be.You sort of need to play them rather then wait for em to make a run or bend that rod.If you see that rod tip twitch,grab hold and be ready to set the hook.They seem to just suck on the bait and not move around to much with it in colder water.
    Some of my best catfishing is done in the winter months and my bigger channels have been caught over the winter and into spring.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    hey mr whiskers im assuming you are from the philadelphia. area i was just about to give up on fishing im goin this monday to give it one more shot so sad that this whole weekend was rained out i usually dont have much sucess from this point on in the season and get strange stairs from people passing by - u know you still fishing isnt it too late for that- do you still catch fish and so on but what the heck i figure one or two more tries i did catch a fat (almost like he was gorging himself) channel 2 sundays ago and he put up a heck of a fight thought it was a carp for a second

9. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    I guess we are lucky down here(Alabama). I really dont do anything different and catch fish year round. I have more trouble finding fish in the dog days of summer than in the winter. It might be due to the fact that winter level for our river and lake is WAY down. Like 10' or so. So in the winter, there are no flats, its the main channel or nothing. But the kinder drop offs do produce more fish. The inside of bends generaly have a less severe slope here. Maybe you can try fishing the slope instead of the holes. Actually, I was diving today and most of the catfish i saw were holding on a straight down rock wall between 25 and 50'. Give the slopes a try and see what happens. By the way, our water temp. rarely goes below around 50 degrees so it might not apply to yaw WAY up there. Hope this helps and good luck...shane

10. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    its not over!-fish are just stacked up in the deep holes!

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Find deep holes with structure inside making it even more appealing and most importantly the baitfish...and you'll find channel or blues. Flathead will be dormant for most of the winter...until the water temps hit the high 40's.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dont give up, you can catch them all winter long, just gotta find them...Cut shad in the winter time is a good combination.

13. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    man winter is my favorite time of the year to catch channels. we have 2 5000 acre lakes on each end of the county and they drop them every winter for flood control and you can really wear the cats out this time of year. fishing is always better after a good rain. the cats will go way up creek arms chasing baitfish that are attracted to the warmer water. i know a few spots i fish from the bank and i usually do great on cut shad. i can't wait!!!

14. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Man,it was almost 90 degrees today.Almost breaking records everyday,as warm as it's been.We may not have very much of a winter here in Central Texas.
    Leakyboat

15. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I can't wait for the colder weather. Cats are just easier to find here in cooler weather, all the way through the season.

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    The Catfishing season never ends for me! The winter is when the Cats get bigger --- as "they fed like crazy" gettin ready for it,

and I'll be around when they are looking for that "little snack". lol :happy:

Bert :cool:

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i myself have only been targeting cats for about 2 years now an i have found out winter cats produce more for me. i use cut shad an skipjacks