Deplorable bank conditions in Dunlevy on Monongahela River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by elphaba7, Jun 12, 2006.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    After missing everyone at the PA gathering, my husband and I decided to go to Dunlevy and camp back on the ATV trails by the river. This is where my husband grew up, he lived there from the time he was a baby until his early twenties. Some of the members familiar with Charleroi might know this area, it's where the sunken barge is.

Anyway, the bank was in AWFUL condition. Garbage, mattrasses, beer cans, and half-burned scattered firewood everywhere. There was even a tree that was black from fire a good 20 feet above our heads! :crazy:

Needless to say, Roby was bummed out. Not having any large trash bags or gloves to clean the place up, we decided to make it a family summer project to clean it up. The best we could do yesterday was to get as much wood as possible into a burn pile, and carry out some of the trash in the small bags we had. I didn't want the twins messing with it too much since there was broken glass everywhere. We did what we could for now.

Here are the before photos, and I'll post some of the clean up photos as they happen.

BTW, we live one state and an hour away, so we'll try to get up there as often as we can.

Attached Files:

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I appluade you and your husband on the cleaning up. Seeing stuff like that makes me sick. Why do people have to be such pigs for. Good luck rep points for this.

3. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    i see people doing that crap everywhere anymore. ive always beeen taught what you bring into the woods or on the river lake or what ever. you take back out. people who do things like that are who make the people who fish look bad.

4. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the clean up. Some people are just digusting and ruin fishing for everyone else.

5. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    i applaude your effort jen, here in alabama they have some big fines if the cach ou doing stuff like that. he also tell you that if you happen to come upon a pile like that try to find anything with a nmae on it so they can proscute them.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    God bless you Jen if the world had more folks like you and your Hubby it would be a whole lit better place. SHOOTUM ALL BUT SIX AND KEEP THEM FOR PALL BEARERS!!!! Bigcatman0816.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thank you and your family for the clean up efforts you put forth at that spot! It's totally sad that some people can leave a mess like that and not care!

8. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Way to go Jen. It really makes you sick to see what some idiots do. That's one of the reasons you start to see more and more no tresspassing signs going up in places you fished all your life.

9. jobiechillin

jobiechillin New Member

State:
    Pennsylvainia
    thank you jen,
    I live in charleroi and see this everywhere every time I go fishing. when i go bank fishing i build me a fire . not to keep warm or anything but to burn the mess that everyone else has left behind . the next week i go to the same spot and start all over again. Thank you again for helping to keep my home away from home clean. Preserving what we love now thats what sportsmanship is all about.:big_smile:

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Good going Jen! We have that problem really bad and is the main reason so much of our fishing access through out the delta has been closed off! Everywhere there is public access, there is garbage, appliances, carpeting, human feces and toilet paper, broken glass, car parts, ect. It's aweful and it pisses me off! Alot of it is not left by fisherman, but alot of it is! Thanks for doing your part, Jen!

11. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Thanks everyone. The "good" thing about that spot, is that I can cast in and wait for the bite while I do my clean up.:big_smile: (Of course, I'll probably wait...and wait...and wait...) So far I've gathered alot of the wood into a burn pile. I had to wait on much of the trash until I had a bag and gloves, but did manage to haul a small amount out in the little Wal-Mart size bags we had.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the mattress? If worse comes to worse, we'll just haul it out of the woods and to the dump, but it's a decent hike back there, and mattresses aren't the easiest things to carry.:roll_eyes:

Hoping to head back there this weekend for phase 2, will post more pics when I do.

12. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thank you for your efforts as well. Too much of this these days. I too have tried to leave the areas that I/we have camped and fished cleaner than it was prior to arrival.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good job cleaning up Jen, that's really sickening!:sad2: A lot of places are like that around here now too, I started leaving big trash bags at the fishing holes, like hanging them up and then a lot of people were at least decent enough to put their trash in the bags.

14. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Jen! Wendell and I always clean up too.
    Pisses me off that people are too sorry to take out what they bring in!
    And I will never understand why it is they feel they have to bust up beer and liquor bottles all over the place. Obviously they care nothing about children coming to those areas, let along others that may want to fish it. Makes you wonder what their homes and yards must look like.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good going Jen you and your husband should be commended for what you are doing. People that dump their trash like that should when caught have to spend 6 months of their weekends having to clean spots like that up unfortunately they are rarely caught. I usually end up spending a weekend just cleaning our Deer camp every year where the summer party crowd trashed it up. Those people are #3 on my list right behind thieves and liars. Anyway GREAT JOB. 777

16. bgjhn

bgjhn New Member

State:
    pa
    thank you very much