The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,188 Posts
You guys are probably correct about the Demon Dragons being different. Good for him if they are. This would definately set them apart from the generic blanks that are bass lures. I have a couple of friends that buy the blanks and custom paint them with maybe a little tweak and sell as bass lures. They catch fish!

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Not a lot od difference Mark but the elevated bait is easier for a fish to see. But try both and see which works the best for you. Shouldn't take long to develop a pattern or show that it doesn't matter.

Welcome to the USCA forum.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
is there a large difference on having a floater with your bait vs fishing the bottom?
The biggest difference from fishing the bottom is snags. It helps you from getting snagged up as much. So that will keep you from losing as many rigs/money. Now take cut bait for instance. When it’s located higher in the water column. It’s scent will travel further through the water which will help draw in fish. If your using live bait a float helps keep them from swimming you down into snags. So the simple answer is, yes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I just got my Muddy River Catfishing Edition DD’s today. First impressions are very solidly built. Great paint job. The most impressive thing for me is the rattles. Very loud, strong rattles. I’m very excited about using them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All this dd and float discussion has inspired me to try something new! These wooden floats really float a bait. The 5" models are really to big in static or minimal currents. The smaller floats work better in slower currents. So, the addition of an Indiana blade just before the hook might be a kicker! Will try this one out this coming week?!

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
All this dd and float discussion has inspired me to try something new! These wooden floats really float a bait. The 5" models are really to big in static or minimal currents. The smaller floats work better in slower currents. So, the addition of an Indiana blade just before the hook might be a kicker! Will try this one out this coming week?!
Nice job! Definitely let us know how you do with it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I’m looking forward to trying the cheap clear knockoffs. I ordered 10 a couple weeks ago... I think they’re on a slow boat from China now.
Well, guys.... you get what you pay for!

The el cheapo Chinese knockoffs work fairly well, but they LEAK! The reviews online mentioned that, but for about a buck-fifty each, I thought it would be worth taking a chance. The first one in the water was half full within an hour of drifting. I switched it out with another that lasted the rest of the day... another 6 hours. Two of three more that we used today leaked too.

Compared to styrofoam floats today & the results were 50/50. We’ve got a few more days this week to run them side by side, so I’ll post an update later.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
What are your thoughts on the location of the leak. A seam or where an eyelet goes in. And do you think a simple sealant would rectify the problem?

Great picts. Glad to see your are all wearing a PFD.

What are you thoughts on that style?

Tom

·
Registered
561 Posts
I’m guessing it’s the seams... the eyelets look pretty solid. I’m sure a sealant would help. These are the clear ones that are designed to be painted. We’re just using them straight out of the package, so I’d bet that a coat of paint & sealant would probably take care of it.

I like the idea of an attractant rattle, just to make the cats curious. I’ll most likely look for a little bit higher grade spook-style lure blank when we get back home from this trip. I’m too much of a DIY-er and cheapskate to pony up for the real dragons!

As for the PFD’s... we made the switch to the self-inflated two or three years ago. I like it & actually wear it... that’s the biggest difference. I’m not sure I’d want to take a dunk with it in this 58-60 degree water though!

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Got ya there. The water would be cold no matter what PFD you were wearing.

I was thinking about switching to a self-inflatable PDF but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I spent a chunk on a Helix 12 mega Si + just the other day. For the cost, I could have gotten an Auto inflatable PFDs for the neighborhood. Oh well maybe in the spring. If I would happen to fall in before then, I will probably just grab the big screen and take it with me. lol

·
Registered
561 Posts
Here’s what a couple of the el-cheapo’s looked like after a couple hours or so of fishing:
IMG_1607252786.192052.jpg

My dad used one about 1/3 full all week in SC, and it didn’t gain any more water after the first hour in the water. The fishing was slow, so I can’t really say whether or not it made any difference compared to non-leaking ones or styrofoam floats. It was pretty much 50/50 for the week.

I would bet that a coat of paint & some clear coat would have prevented the leaks. I’ve got a batch of a slightly different style on order & will paint them up before hitting the river with them this spring.

Would love to hear more from you guys that have invested some time & money into the real Demon Dragons.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I painted all mine and have had no water get in. I just painted them with whatever spray paint I had in the shop which ranged from the very inexpensive WM brand to some pretty high priced auto body paint, I noticed no difference in the way it adhered from one brand to another and no color seemed to outproduce the other while fishing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here’s what a couple of the el-cheapo’s looked like after a couple hours or so of fishing:
View attachment 322191
My dad used one about 1/3 full all week in SC, and it didn’t gain any more water after the first hour in the water. The fishing was slow, so I can’t really say whether or not it made any difference compared to non-leaking ones or styrofoam floats. It was pretty much 50/50 for the week.

I would bet that a coat of paint & some clear coat would have prevented the leaks. I’ve got a batch of a slightly different style on order & will paint them up before hitting the river with them this spring.

Would love to hear more from you guys that have invested some time & money into the real Demon Dragons.
My cheap ones did the same. I may paint them this winter to see if it helps. I put some better ones from catfish sumo coming for Christmas I think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To say they float a bait better or worse than a styrofoam float is the discussion, you can like what you want, buy what you want, but I always have to chuckle when I hear someone say they biting on (insert certain color demon dragon here). They bite the bait on the hook, plain and simple. They didn’t bite because of the color of your demon dragon. They don’t care what direction your demon dragon is facing on your leader. If they were non of you all would be getting any fish unless your demon dragon was right on the hook. I buy foam floats and a few line rattles here and there. The rest of my money goes to hooks, swivels, line, etc. The things that actually catch and hold fish.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
To say they float a bait better or worse than a styrofoam float is the discussion, you can like what you want, buy what you want, but I always have to chuckle when I hear someone say they biting on (insert certain color demon dragon here). They bite the bait on the hook, plain and simple. They didn’t bite because of the color of your demon dragon. They don’t care what direction your demon dragon is facing on your leader. If they were non of you all would be getting any fish unless your demon dragon was right on the hook. I buy foam floats and a few line rattles here and there. The rest of my money goes to hooks, swivels, line, etc. The things that actually catch and hold fish.

Good ol common sense is difficult to beat. 👍

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,188 Posts
I got some Catfish Sumo rattles for Christmas and I have to say that they seem to be nice. They look good and it doesn't take much movement to make them rattle. I normally use a simple Carolina rig or Kentucky rig bu figure I will give these a shot.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I’m guessing it’s the seams... the eyelets look pretty solid. I’m sure a sealant would help. These are the clear ones that are designed to be painted. We’re just using them straight out of the package, so I’d bet that a coat of paint & sealant would probably take care of it.
I bought a package a couple years ago, hung them on a stiff wire through the eye and spray painted them with whatever color spray paint I had in my shop at the time, I have them in green, red, orange and black then I got artistic with them and started making some with stripes or combinations like orange over black using masking tape. Some of the paint cans were auto body paint quality some were the cheapest WM had. I have not had one leak since painting but to be honest I can't tell the color used makes any difference to the fish. Good Luck

61 - 80 of 83 Posts