The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

Premium Member
Ramon may have to wait for an R&R to get he once he is in Germany.

I have two DDs in the box but have not really used them yet. Had no idea that it mattered what direction they were facing. Seeing Ramon's pic, it appears the end with the eyes is a larger diameter and the way the DD is tapered would make me think the eyes should be looking at your bait.

I don't know it having the DD species match the bait you are offering would make any difference. They may spend a lot of time in schools but I don't think they are taught that.

But it wouldn't hurt for a test.

Ramon, you and the boss getting to come home on leave any time soon?

Premium Member
Yes I had seen where that was happening. And I know the reasoning but it doesn't make sense to me. But that is politics so not meant for here. Sorry about the move. They are never easy especially when you family is along.

I thought you were going to try to hit the James that fall for a short time. Maybe this virus has changed that being possible.

Anyway, I am sure you have checked some, what does the fishing look like in Belgium. My father was there in WWII but Never mentioned doing any fishing. haha

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Reactions: ramon06

Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
I watched a fishing video a while back and I simply can't recall which one it was. The fellow at one point shows the viewer how he rigs a DD on his leader. He runs the leader through the end eye, down through the belly eye and out the mouth eye. This allows the DD to slide to wherever you want it relative to hook. No knots. Has anyone tried this method?

Premium Member
I have not used DDs yet but also saw the video. The thought was that the fewer knots used the better if it was the same video. Do you remember if that video shows using a rubber band to hold the DD in place on the leader line?

Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
I have not used DDs yet but also saw the video. The thought was that the fewer knots used the better if it was the same video. Do you remember if that video shows using a rubber band to hold the DD in place on the leader line?
Tom, that part I do not recall but it makes sense.

Premium Member
Could very well have been a different video. I watch several videos daily for new information.

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
Ramon may have to wait for an R&R to get he once he is in Germany.

I have two DDs in the box but have not really used them yet. Had no idea that it mattered what direction they were facing. Seeing Ramon's pic, it appears the end with the eyes is a larger diameter and the way the DD is tapered would make me think the eyes should be looking at your bait.

I don't know it having the DD species match the bait you are offering would make any difference. They may spend a lot of time in schools but I don't think they are taught that.

But it wouldn't hurt for a test.

Ramon, you and the boss getting to come home on leave any time soon?
Scott Manning is the creator of the DD. In this first video he shows underwater footage of how a DD works.
Now in this next video he goes into a little more detail about how and why he rigs DD鈥檚 the way he does. While he fishes with Luke from Catfish & Carp.

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
I watched a fishing video a while back and I simply can't recall which one it was. The fellow at one point shows the viewer how he rigs a DD on his leader. He runs the leader through the end eye, down through the belly eye and out the mouth eye. This allows the DD to slide to wherever you want it relative to hook. No knots. Has anyone tried this method?
I too am going to use this method when rigging up my DD鈥檚. You take the line through all 3 of the eyes on the DD to keep from tying all the knots. It also helps to keep from having any weak points. But with my rig I鈥檓 going to use a bobber stop. Place it in between the hook and the DD along with a small bead. This will keep the DD where you want it. So no sliding down especially from when you鈥檙e casting. Some people also use a piece of electrical tape around the DD and the line but I like my idea better.

Registered
I too saw a video with someone doing that. Gonna try it when I get back to the James. No current here in the small lakes I'll be fishing to really test it.

Registered
I made some of the knock-off dragons using the larger top water blanks from Amazon and I run the leader line through them the way you described. So far if they鈥檝e slid on the line it鈥檚 been very minimal. I鈥檝e not had any of them leak yet, break, nor damage the leader line. I can also say that from last year to this year, my catch rate has gone up significantly. For my body of water, Watts Bar Lake in Tennessee I鈥檓 sold on them.

Using the blanks and painting them your self, they cost roughly $1.15 each. They are so much more durable than the foam peg floats that I was loosing at a rate of 2-3 per trip that I鈥檒l stick with the knock-off dragons.

Premium Member
Charles, you have me curious. If you have a peg float secured to your leader with the pegs, how are you losing 2 to 3 per trip. You are in a great spot for fishing but the current is generally slow. Not sure what would damage the floats.

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
I believe this is what Damon was talking about. The only thing I have added is a split ring on the front and back. I skip the middle. Works great with only one knot on the hook. View attachment 313802
Yes, exactly what I was talking about. With the bobber stop and a small bead. Just like you would do with a pole float.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
Scott Manning also does it the other way because trophy fish grab baitfish face first. He says that in one of his videos. For the most part fish in general not just trophy fish take the bait head first. That鈥檚 why a lot of people hook live bait closer to the tail than the head.

Registered
Steve from Mississippi
I don't think the head has anything to do with it. Yes fish generally take bait head first but I do not believe the catfish are hitting solely the Demon Dragon. it is usually about 6'' away from the hook and bait. Think about what these things really are. They are topwater bass baits that are meant to walk the dog action. They have more flotation in the front and sit lower in the rear to give the front rise for the action. If they were level or nose heavy they would not work as intended. Catfishermen just happen to use them to float bait and rattle. That is not their intended purpose. Probably can't fish them wrong.

Registered
Discussion Starter #60
I don't think the head has anything to do with it. Yes fish generally take bait head first but I do not believe the catfish are hitting solely the Demon Dragon. it is usually about 6'' away from the hook and bait. Think about what these things really are. They are topwater bass baits that are meant to walk the dog action. They have more flotation in the front and sit lower in the rear to give the front rise for the action. If they were level or nose heavy they would not work as intended. Catfishermen just happen to use them to float bait and rattle. That is not their intended purpose. Probably can't fish them wrong.
Yes Steve, you are correct. The very first DD鈥檚 were made from a Zara Spook. The popular top water bass lure. After the initial testing of those. Scott Manning then designed the new version of the DD with the rattle specifically for catfishing/striper fishing and bait flotation purposes. So even though they look similar they are different now.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts