The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
Too many knots to tie ..... I like my cigar floats they are a heck of a lot cheaper and work just fine....put some fresh gizzard shad on there or some fresh skipjack and dragging around it doesn't matter if it rattles or not.. that's just my opinion I can't see them for ten bucks apiece...

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Current prices are:
52 cents for a 3" styrofoam float
and approx $5 fr a Demon Dragon

So the Demon Dragon is approx 10 time more expensive.

The choice is yours.

tight lines.
Thanks for the information. A lot of places on the Upper Potomac River where I fish. Has a lot of muskies too. So I鈥檓 worried about the styrofoam floats. A muskies teeth can really wreak havoc on your rigs. I might even have to attach a small 4鈥-6鈥 steel leader from the float to the hook for this very reason. Have any of you guys ever caught a musky while you were fishing with these rigs? What damage did it cause?

Registered
Stacee from Indiana
Anything to get your bait up off the bottom and out of debris can be good.
I also like to use 3 way rigs and Kentucky rigs depending on what's on the bottom of where I'm fishing.

I never knew that catfish liked certain colors but I do know they react to movement and scent.

If the bait is in the water you have a good chance in catching a fish whether it has a float or not.
A float that rattles might better the odds.
I tend to rely more on my bait and hook to catch the fish because I have never seen a float catch a fish.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
We have a lot of snaggy areas around here. So any floatation device would be a plus. I lost a lot of money over the years fishing strictly on the bottom. Or whatever your live bait swims you into. So cutting down on that would be awesome!

Premium Member
Yes small balloons work very well. Blow them up only about the size of a golf ball or you will bring your bait to the top.

Which brings up the fact that those same balloons make very good floats/bobbers. You can put a chem stik in them before you inflate them and they are great at night.

Inflate them and tie your knot leaving as much length of the open tip as possible then wrap that tip section around your line two or three times then tie your knot. That will let you slide the balloon up or down your line and it will stay in place.

Just some thoughts.

Registered
I would think anything that would keep your bait off the bottom would work so the fish can see it better no matter what it is. I have tried floaters but can't really tell you yet on the real results of them yet. I would think that if you are on the bottom a good sized live bait or cut bait would take a pretty good sized float to keep it up off the bottom since they want to hide from predators. I don't think blues care much about stuff weighing on the line as much as flatheads. I can see advantages of a floating rig in rocky snags which is where I will try them soon to see the results.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Having a lathe, turning floats from cedar, pine and balsa, my floats work great. With a clear coating, non toxic, the wood has a natural presence in the water column. When one is lost pollution is not an issue with this natural float.
That鈥檚 pretty cool. I would like to see a picture of those if you have any.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
I ordered a set of Demon Dragons Muddy River Catfishing Edition. On Hookers Terminal Tackle they had them for $20 for 4 and free shipping. I also plan on buying peg floats to see what works better around here. I figured it would be good to compare both. I like to experiment with different tackle. Might just find a diamond in the ruff.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
I use the DDs, chubbs, regular floats and the MP Seekers on almost all my rigs. they all do great. The MP Seeker and DDs are my favorite. Then the chubb and the regular floats. Don't think the fish care but I caught quite a few 60+lb fish last summer on the DDs and MPs. They seemed to get hit more than the others, thinking maybe the rattle and propeller just irritates them, nothing more
So since you鈥檝e used DD鈥檚 and Whisker Seekers Chub. Have you noticed a difference in how they float baits? The creator of the DD鈥檚 said they should be be fished with with the eyes facing the hook. Apparently there is more buoyancy in the face side. Also because a lot of predatory fish often take their prey face first. My personal opinion is depending on how close you put it to your hook. It presents a larger profile underwater. Where a fish might think the bait is actually larger than it really is. I chose the MRC color because to my eye it has some of the colors a sucker, bullhead, sunfish, or a bluegill has. The local fish they are used to eating around here. So what colors have worked well for you in your area?

Registered
Surprisingly I've never compared them. I just tie em on, cast em and use them. Its a good point to test them. Maybe I'll do that today and tie stuff to them and see which ones float the best.
I didn't know DD recommended that direction, luckily I've been doing that way anyway lol just did it because I assumed that was correct lol
20190626_181428.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Surprisingly I've never compared them. I just tie em on, cast em and use them. Its a good point to test them. Maybe I'll do that today and tie stuff to them and see which ones float the best.
I didn't know DD recommended that direction, luckily I've been doing that way anyway lol just did it because I assumed that was correct lol View attachment 313712
Nice, see to me that resembles the color of a shad or white bass. Just remember to use the same bait for your rigs on days your testing. This will help the test and results to be more accurate. I鈥檇 test them over the coarse of a month. So you have many trips to go off of. But definitely give me an update on how your test goes today.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts